Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Datasheet maximum ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawcuenca

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I am new in looking up datasheets for discrete devices (Diodes, IGBTs, MOSFETs and SCRs). I would just like to know how the manufacturers come up with the device maximum ratings?:?: Your meaningful response will be greatly appreciated.:D

From the process characteristics rather than the design. For example, a process may have transistors which break down at 7V. That will be tested. They then design a chip to work at 5V (up to 5.5V really). Between 5.5V and 7V is a grey area. The chip wasn't designed to work there but shouldn't be damaged. Once you reach 7V there is a risk it will self destruct.

Keith

lawcuenca

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Keith,
First of all, thank you for sharing about the process. Another thing, are their any formula used to determine let's say MOSFETs' maximum ID or an IGBT's maximum IC based from other datasheet parameters? Just like when we solve for the maximum power dissipation PD = (Tjmax-Tc)/RoJC ? Thanks in advance.

Law

Law,

Sorry, my answer was a bit off topic. It is based on my experience designing ICs. I have not designed many with high current, and then only up to a few amps peak so I don't know the different failure modes. Some failures will happen in a short duration, others are heat based so happens slower. You can also overheat the device in a short space of time before the heat can be conducted to the package.

Hopefully someone will chip in with an answer with some more physics.

Keith

Hi Keith,
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll just read more articles regarding this topic to learn more about it.

Doesn't datasheet specify the maximum Id itself. Why do you need to calculate it.

Remember they pulse the Id when they specify it (as far as I remember) to allow heat to dissipate.

Status
Not open for further replies.