Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Data acquisition from a microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightstar007

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hey. I am trying to take the data from various sensors connected to a micrcontroller and then connect the microcontroller to he pc and then use Visual basic or java GUI to display and log the data.

The problem is i couldnt get any helpful articles or tutorials on how to connect the microcontroller to the pc and then how to configure the ports and write associated codes in the gui to make the program work.

any links or books suggested on how to do this would be highly helpful.

Thank you

What type of micro are you using?
Are you using USB or a serial interface between the PC & micro-controller?

I am using ATmega 16.

Still undicided on the interface i will use. I want to use the USB but i think a serial would be easier.

Brother, USB interface would become quiet tricky and cumbersome if you are on time. Hence, my recommendation would be to use serial interface. You can always use a serial to USB converter later (or FTDI cable). As far as GUI is concerned, with VB you can be finished with your GUI before even you know. So, friend, keep side things simpler at first so that main things could be concentrated upon. Afterwards, its your ball in your side of the court.

Cheers.

Interfacing using USB can be really easy, depending on which micro you choose. It would be difficult using the micro you've chosen.

I already have a USBasp made...... NOw i just need to find out how I can use the usbasp to store data in the pc.

And if I can connect the microcontroller to the pc using a SPROG its easy to make. I find the codeing to linking that to the software difficult

And thanks for all ur help
Cheers

Added after 26 minutes:

@nandhu015: I checkd out that link. It mostly describes about making a serial programing tool to burn hex files into the micro controller.

I am looking to save the data from the microcontroller in the PC. And then use an external program to read that data and present it in GUI.

The saving of the data from microcontroller is the problem for me. I know i have to write some code for doing it but dont kno wat to do there.

@nandhu015: I checkd out that link. It mostly describes about making a serial programing tool to burn hex files into the micro controller.

I am looking to save the data from the microcontroller in the PC. And then use an external program to read that data and present it in GUI.

The saving of the data from microcontroller is the problem for me. I know i have to write some code for doing it but dont kno wat to do there.

It depends on the volume of data you have to store. There are many options from eeprom to SD card.

Most of the microcontrollers have inbuilt eeproms. If you want more space try SD Card.

Nandhu

It may help you.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.