Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cutting traces, lifting up IC pins, what tool to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What tools are the best to cut PCB traces?

What tool is the best to LIFT up fine pitch pins, they don't break?

What tool is the best to lift up SMT IC pins? so they don't break?

What can I put under an IC pin after I have lifted the pin up so it doesn't short out to the pad

Because when I lift up the IC pin I put a wire on it to re-route the signal so I don't want it to touch the PAD underneath anymore, but I don't know what to put on the pad to not make the pin short out to the pad on the PCB when the IC pin is Lifted? what can i use please?

Do you use a soldering iron to lift up the IC pin? But the IC pin mostly breaks off

Universal tool - scalpel. Be careful cutting tracks.
I tend to use a scalpel to lift up a pin too - the scalpel is thin and narrow enough to manipulate close to the IC,
yet strong enough to lift up a SMD IC pin (SOIC, TQFP, etc), once you've melted the solder.
You don't need to put anything under the pin, just solder a very light wire to it, and the pin will support it,
without any padding/support, for test boards. The wire to use is the (approx)30AWG tefzel/kynar coated types.
Sometimes I will use some small dab of epoxy resin to secure the wire, for test boards.

Another question i had was

If I the pads lift off the PCB boards because i left the soldering on it to long

What can i use for a PAD?

Because there is no more PAD on the PCB

A bit of that 30AWG wire that I mentioned, stripped and laid flat onto the PCB.. not much else you can use in
such a small space as a SMD IC..

If i use the 30 gauge wire to replace the pad on the PCB , The Component or IC pin doesn't lay FLAT , it is tilted

The Component doesn't lay flat on the PCB because of the 30 gauge wire

yes, but realistically, what else could be used?
You could try using a scalpel to cut a very narrow piece of copper tape but for that hassle it's
easier to use the wire, and let that particular pin on the IC lift up slightly.
If you prefer, you could use thinner wire than 30AWG. Or crush the wire slightly with some
pliers.
With 30AWG, your IC pin is lifted up by 0.25mm. Or, leave the pin unconnected and then after
the rest of the pins have been soldered, use the wire on top of the pin, rather than under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back