Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Custom enclosure design process

Status
Not open for further replies.

J2SmartTech

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am in the process of designing a small, wearable device. The circuit is designed and parts have been chosen to miniaturize overall size and weight. I am using Altium Designer, and I am about to begin the PCB design & layout phase.

While I do have PCB design experience, my problem is with enclosure design. Since this is a small, wearable product, I am convinced that a custom enclosure is necessary, but I do not know how to go about this process. Do I specify the mechanical requirements of the enclosure based on the PCB, or should the enclosure size, shape, screw holes, etc. be determined first and then the PCB designed around that?

With the above in mind, I would appreciate advice on the following:
* Best way to approach the above problem
* Companies I can pursue
* Consultants I can contact (what job titles typically fall under this category)

Thank you in advance,
Jon from J2SmartTech

Hi there,

Usually these designs are co developed and there isn't really a right order to go about it. You design to meet your need, depending on where it will be worn you can get an idea on the enclosure needed. Depending on the environment you will need IP ratings and connectors to make sure there is no breaching. From there you go back and tweak your board to match that enclosure. Another option you could take it to overmold or pot the board in a small enclosure that has some kind of loop or interface to interface to the person. You can send your models to most assembly shops and they will take over from there.

Once you are using Altium Designer, will enjoy the fact that this tool allow a smart integration to modern mechanical CADs such as Solid Works by exporting the board 3D model, so that you can preciselly determine critical regions concerning to fastening, cabling, heating, etc...

Examine the way successful commercial products are made. For instance, cell phone, radio car lock-unlock, iPod, emergency-call pendants, etc.

It is important that the device be able to continue operating after being dropped 4 feet onto concrete.
Also that it not show wear.
Batteries must be easy to replace.
A flat enclosure is more comfortable in the pocket, compared to a round enclosure.

To fabricate the enclosure, consider using one of those newfangled 3D printers. They are revolutionizing the design and manufacturing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back