Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current measurement over one day long

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaka85

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'd like to record (with a PC maybe it would be easier) the current consumption of a DC motor.
The motor is mounted on a machine and he will perform his movements continually for hours, so we can see its power consumption.
Since I want to see the exact trend of the signal, I need to record it with a scope.

I know there are other tools to do this current log, but I want to buy a scope also for other uses, so I take two birds with one stone :)

So could you give me some advice to understand which model is suitable for my needs?
And also: to measure corrent is ok a normal amperometric clamp connected to the scope?
Requested features:
- it should be connected to a pc in order to log some hours of data.
- 4 channels
- bandwidth could be low..
- current measurement clamp to connect to the scope.

Thanks

Hi,

the only valid information is "4 channels".

*no voltage range, no current range, no timing resolution...

please specify as precise as possible. Then you will get helpful answers.

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

thanks for answering.
You are right, sorry.
Current range = to measure a DC motor I need minimum 40 A, maximum is not really compulsory.
Voltage range = I will always measure signals around 12 V, so the usual range on scopes I think should be ok.
Timing resolution = I measure "slow" signals, not high-rate data, so this value is not so important (I think..)

I saw the TDS2004C from Tektronix, it could be fine?
What about the clamp?

Thanks

Regardless of the scope you choose, make sure it has USB connectivity and the software application to make your computer function as a datalogger.

Scopes by themselves, usually do not have sufficient memory to record such a lengthy period.

Hi Klaus,

thanks for answering.
You are right, sorry.
Current range = to measure a DC motor I need minimum 40 A, maximum is not really compulsory.
Voltage range = I will always measure signals around 12 V, so the usual range on scopes I think should be ok.
Timing resolution = I measure "slow" signals, not high-rate data, so this value is not so important (I think..)

I saw the TDS2004C from Tektronix, it could be fine?
What about the clamp?

Thanks

You don't really need a scope.

Just a data logger with some enhancements for I peak and hold if you want or just integrate current over the measurement interval to get average. or both.

The result is simply reading counters over a USB port, which can then be displayed in a spreadsheet or data to graphic App.

I need a scope also for other measurements, so I take two birds with one stone.
I think I will choose the TDS2004C, it can be connected to the NI Lab View from tektronix..

Status
Not open for further replies.