Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current measurement...any ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zezito

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi !
I have a transf. 20V/50A ,AC, dont forget it's a transf.! i need to measure the current in each separate half cycle, negative and positive. YOu have any ideas how to do this?

Thanks

Zezito

Hi

Why don't use an processor with an ADC and aquire de sinal!? then will be easy to processe the data....

Texas Inst. have amplications notes that show using the MSP430 as kwatt meter, you can use it in your work.

**broken link removed**

Another simple methoded is to use two diodes to filter the signal negative part from the positve one, them using two amperimeters measure the current value of each one.

Best regards
Pendragon

Current measurement is usually done with shunt resistor. Measure voltage drop on series resistor or use current transformer.

I think you can measure the by measuring the power and the voltage, then make your calculation by the following equation: I=P/U.

How to measure power without measuring voltage and current?

Borber said:

Actually you measure scattering parameters when you are unable to measure current and voltage.

You ALWAYS find these situations in RF. You use network analyzers or spectrum analyzers. These situations are like when signal is over 500MHz. Below that you can measure V and I easily.

djalli

zezito said:
Hi !
I have a transf. 20V/50A ,AC, dont forget it's a transf.! i need to measure the current in each separate half cycle, negative and positive. YOu have any ideas how to do this?

Thanks

Zezito

put a resistor!
put a diode forward/reverse in circuit and measure the voltage and current.

djalli

djalli said:
Borber said:

Actually you measure scattering parameters when you are unable to measure current and voltage.

djalli

Dear djalli by what means you can measure scattering parameters at 50 or 60Hz on mains transformer? What is first post in this topic?

If you dont want to put a series resisitor, try a Hall efect sensor. Really easy to work with.

if you have a digital scope and shunt resistor you can record the wave of voltage through the shunt ( which will be currenr wave ) and then do calculations in any cycle or time period you want

Status
Not open for further replies.