Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Compliance or Current Starvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrMunna

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I tried reading about current compliance and current starvation....but I couldn't really understand..I mean both methods are use to limit the current to a load. So does this mean that if I have resistive load of say 1Kohm, and I apply a voltage of 1V across it then Current Compliance or current starvation can limit the current flowing through the load. Say that with a 1 V across the 1Kohm load, I get a maximum current of 1uA flowing through the load?

- - - Updated - - -

to add to the post, is there any such method which limits the current but allows the voltage to increase across a resistor?

No replies :( let me change my question a bit,
1. Can some one explain what is current compliance?
2. Ref. to the figure, if I have load R, and I set Vg, such that the maximum current that can flow through the mosfet is 1mA then this mean I have provided a current compliance of 1mA to the load? Is that right?

Attachments

• CC.png
    CC.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

I understand Current Compliance as the ratio of a current mirror's slave current to its master current, i.e. how well the slave current complies with its master's.

Current Starvation, however, I'd associate with a resistor between emitter (or source) and GND, which straightens and limits the current through a transistor stage, so increasing its linearity (at the cost of gain).

Status
Not open for further replies.