Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CST MWS simulation of a rectangular waveguide

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixiemouse

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am starting off with a simple case of lossless dielectric filled waveguide with lossy dielectric segments on it's sides. I did a parameter sweep varying loss and looking at Ez. I am interested in TM11 mode and hence would like Ez to be high. I am using the transient solver to run this.
I put in curves at the input and output waveguide ports which are located at the ends of this structure. Also there is a curve along the center of the waveguide. I am evaluating Ez along these curves for a fixed time.

The behavior of Ez along these curves is not as expected. I am seeing some growth instead of decay for some loss tangent values. I am also seeing ripples at the input (z=0)(see attached). The output (at z =10) curves are smooth compared to the input.
For this simulation, am exciting port 1 just with one mode i.e TM11. But am interested in looking at how how much I am losing to other modes. But am not sure how to do that yet.
My question is, am I doing something wrong in the way I am evaluating the field strength. How do I look into how much is going into TM11 ( in my case mode 8 out of the first 10 modes)

Attachments

• Bragg_3segments_model.bmp
    439.7 KB · Views: 43
  • bragg_twt_mar_Ez_TM11-mode8_alongz.jpg
    bragg_twt_mar_Ez_TM11-mode8_alongz.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 108
  • bragg_twt_mar_Ez_TM11-mode8_z=0.jpg
    bragg_twt_mar_Ez_TM11-mode8_z=0.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 74
  • bragg_twt_mar_Ez_TM11-mode8_z=10.jpg
    bragg_twt_mar_Ez_TM11-mode8_z=10.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 77