Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal oscillator measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosskardo

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Probably a stupid question. What is an easy and cheap way to measure crystal oscillators? F.e. this:
https://eu.mouser.com/datasheet/2/698/REN_XL_Crystal_Oscillators_Datasheet_DST_20220302-1954959.pdf
I know it's easy with oscilloscope but would it be possible with frequency counter as it's cheaper? But then there is the problem of what kind of leads to use (as I understand, oscilloscope leads won't work?). Crystal is mounted on a board.
If using oscilloscope to measure, what kind of accuracy does it need? If frequency is 180MHz and I only need to measure the frequency (but still accuratelly), don't need the waveform to be really accurate, can I use lower bandwidht models? Like 200MHz or even 100MHz?

Thank you

Hi,

depends on what information(s) you want to know.

With a scope you can measure voltage levels, duty cycle, overshot... with a counter not.

Klaus

Hi,

I see no big problem:
* circuit like given in the oscillator datasheet (mainly the bypass capacitor)
* frequency counter needs to have compatible input according voltage level
* leads: as short as possible

Klaus

For frequency counters there is such a thing as a 'pre-scaler', which divides the incoming signal by 10 (or 100 or 1000 depending on number of stages). The benefit is to expand the measurement range of a counter so it can read faster frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back