Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal 3rd Overtone - which frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dohzer

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If a crystal datasheet lists that a family of crystals can work in either fundamental or 3rd overtone modes, and then lists different frequencies for both, which frequency limits do I use.
Basically I want a 50MHz crystal that I can use to generate a 150MHz output in 3rd overtone mode.

So, for instance, looking at the Abracon ABM3 family of crystals (link to .pdf datasheet) it lists the following frequency range:

Code:
[B]Fundamental Frequency Range:[/B]
[B]Min:[/B] 8.000 MHz
[B]Max[/B]: 54.000 MHz
[B]3rd Overtone Frequency Range:[/B]
[B]Min:[/B] 54.100 MHz
[B]Max:[/B] 80.000 MHz

Does this mean that:
a) The largest frequency I can generate using a 3rd overtone frequency is 80MHz? i.e to do this I would select a crystal with a fundamental frequency of 80/3 = 26.66667MHz.
b) The largest frequency I can generate is 240MHz? i.e. to do this I would select the 80MHz oscillator and in its operating mode it would generate 80*3 = 240MHz.

I would have assumed I could use any of the fundamental frequency crystals to generate a 3rd overtone, but the fact that 8*3 = 24MHz falls outside the minimum third overtone frequency makes me think this is not possibly, and also leads me to assume that I can't generate a 50*3 = 150MHz frequency output.

a) The largest frequency I can generate using a 3rd overtone frequency is 80MHz? i.e to do this I would select a crystal with a fundamental frequency of 80/3 = 26.66667MHz.
Right!

I would have assumed I could use any of the fundamental frequency crystals to generate a 3rd overtone, but the fact that 8*3 = 24MHz falls outside the minimum third overtone frequency makes me think this is not possibly, and also leads me to assume that I can't generate a 50*3 = 150MHz frequency output.
Right, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back