Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating voltage supply of 5v, 10v and 20v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raintree

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
bridge rectifier 5v 10v voltage supply

Hi all,

If i want to make 3 voltage supply of 5v, 10v and 20v, how should i connect? Is it possible to have a supply of 5V and from there, i amplifie to have 10v,20v?
If using this, the supply voltage for the opamps need to be above 10V. what should i do to have all supply voltage at 5V and outputs 10V and 20V?

Thanks,

Raintree

Re: creating voltage supply

You can build 5V power supply and then step the voltage up to 10, 20 , etc.
Depending on current requirements there are several options:

Low currents (20-100mA) dc-dc charge-pump converters

Medium currents (100mA-2A) boost switching regulators

For both try MAXIM-IC, National Semicoductors, ...
They support samples programs and have a lot of application notes.

I dont understant why u need to step-up the 5V supply.
You may use a 24V ac transformer and connect 3 different regulators to get the 3 different voltaged, one for the 20v, one for the 10v and one for the 5v. This solution is cheaper.
Step-up is recommended if you have only 5v available. If this is the case then you need step-up regulators in order to have good efficiency. (Is it for a battery powered equipment?)

hi all,

i need 3 different voltage supply to 3 different circuit on the same board so how should i do? If using the op amps how should i connect?

The 3 voltages are 5V, 10V and 20V

Thanks,
Raintree

This is a basic tumb of rule for a power supply designer,

You need to keep in mind a desing for the highest voltage that you need, from there, you can just get a few voltage regulators,

An opam is not the best solution, even if you are intending to use those voltages as a reference for a digital circuit,

In that way you can warranty a high performance for all voltage lines,

Cheers

Since you need voltage supply for a circuit on your board you can always take power from the mains and use a transformer to transform it to a lower voltage.
Then after full wave rectifying the transformed voltage you can just use a voltage regulator to get the reqd DC voltages. Or if you don't mind the power loss you can use a voltage divider.

u can just connect 0-24v transformer and tap the voltages at 5,10 and 20 v respectively. and this is simpler

Well, why up and not down? What is your initial power supply? Is it AC or DC? You have +5V and you are searching to step up? I think the solution with the linear converters is better if you have a power supply of say 24V and take 20, 10 and 5 in the output of the converters. If you have an AC voltage you'll just need a bridge rectifier and that's all.
Check the books forum. I downloaded several books for DC-DC converters from there. I think it will most helpfull.
D.

The two basic methods are:
-Linear regulator
-Switching regulator

The best way to do this depend deeply from the MAX current
that you need.

If the current is not so high < 1A, and they have all the same GND
the linear method can be the simplest,
and i agree with the cascade solution purposed by "electron_boy".
In this case you can use the 3 pin regulators as :
7805 , LM317 , etc.....

Another site that you can try is:
h**p://www.linear.com/

enjoy
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back