Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating Spacer Using Solder Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaas

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am needing a 14 mil spacer to be placed under a thru-hole part. As this is a low volume product I was thinking of trying to create a spacer using a SMT pad and solder paste with no part on it during heating. Once the paste melts it should create a dome. My question is how to calculate the size of pad needed to create a 14 mil spacer? Is it even possible? I believe the stencil is 5 mil, I am confirming this right now. If this cheap way does not work I will have to pay the extra cost to have the assembler added tape under the part before soldering.

Interesting problem. Below is my proposed solution.

Assumption:
- the pad is square shaped with the base length of a
- solder paste solid content is 90%
- liquid solder surface tension is 400N/m (in reality it is somewhere between 350 and 500 N/m)

First liquid solder will form a puddle on the pad surface whose maximal hight can be calculated from the following formula

hmax = (sqrroot(2*gamma*(1 - cos(theta)))/(g*psi) where

psi - is the density of the liquid, approximately 8000kg/m^3
g - is the acceleration due to gravity ~10m^2/s
gamma - is the surface tension, 400N/m
theta - is the liquid surface contact angle; in our case theta -> 0 when a -> inf.

Next I am going to approximate the shape of the dome with a square pyramid, with base length a and height h.
Volume of such pyramid
V = 1/3*a^2*h

The volume of solder deposited on the pad
Vs = 0.9 * a^2 *hs

where hs - is the height of the stencil

Obviously Vs and V are equal. We can then calculate the height of the pyramid.

h = 2.7*hs

assuming that hs=5mils

h = 14mils

It seems like it does not matter how big or small the pad is. The height of the dome (pyramid) only depends on the height of a stencil used.

Not so much....

if we now go back to our first equation, the one with max height of a liquid on a surface. When the pad gets bigger its base length a gets bigger in relation to its height h. This means that the surface angle theta -> 0 and cos(theta) -> 1 and therefore hmax -> 0.
So we need the hmax to be just a bit bigger than 14 mils, lets say 16mils, which can be rounded down to 0.4mm = 0.0004m

cos(theta) = 1 - ((hmax*g*psi)^2)/(2*gamma)

in our case

cos(theta) = 0.32

we also know that

cos(theta) = (0.5 * a)/sqrroot(0.25*a^2 + hmax^2)

so

a = cos(theta)*hmax/(0.25 - 0.25*(cos(theta))^2)

hmax = 16 mils = 0.0004m
cos(theta) = 0.32

what we get is

a = 0.00048m = 18.8mils

So to sum up - you can use any square shaped pad with its base length up to 18.8mils.
Hopefully someone will challenge my calculations :)

Piotr,

You had me up to cos(theta) = 1 - ((hmax *g*psi)^2)/(2*gamma). I can not get 0.32, I am getting -0.28? After that nothing is seeming to work. I not saying it is wrong, just I am getting lost.

Thanks,
Paul

Yeah I think I see the error.

it should be

hmax = sqrroot((2*gamma*(1 - cos(theta)))/(g*psi))

so

cos(theta) = 1 - (h^2 * g * psi)/(2*gamma)

cos(theta) = 1 - 0.000016 = ~1

theta =~0
That means that the size of the pad should not matter... hmmm I wonder if this is the case

Status
Not open for further replies.