Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CPU Overheating Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koustav

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,
My Intel 845 GVSR motherboard consist of P4 2.4 Ghz processor, 2 numbers of DDR1 RAM (256+1024), 120 GB ATA HD, DVD RW and one PCI graphic card. Recently the PC shuts itself down often (power and HD LEDs stay on but the monitor shuts down) If power or restart button is pressed at that moment the PC goes to complete power off mode. After that if power button is pressed instantly, then some kinda rhythmic beep comes out and it doesn't start. After giving it a break lets say for 30 minute it will start again and one message would show up saying "your CPU was shut down for overheating reason, service the unit right away" something like that.
Kindly suggest what is this overheating problem for? I have recently opened the unit and cleaned all the dust from the processor fan and motherboard and the fitting is proper i am sure and the cooling fan is also running at the proper speed. How can I get over with the overheating problem of CPU? The processor cooling chemical was all dried up (i saw it during clean up) Is it the reason? Can I get that chemical in the market separately and apply on processor? Please suggest...

Thanks,
Koustav

yeah i would should purchase a thermal paste kit, someone told me the best one is quicksilver, but i have no idea if that's true, anway the kit is cheap and comes with cleaning solvents and a small tube of thermal paste, that fixed my laptop :)

hi hot n cold drink...
thanks for your reply, i will search for those in the market. But can you mention the price?

sure, here in oz i paid about $8AU :), you have to clean up the dry stuff properly, then carefully and evenly spread the new stuff, don't be tempted to put too much! also the guy at the shop warned me that the paste is conductive, so keep it away from all pins etc, use something like a bussiness card to spread it out evenly like butter on bread... it's amazing what a difference it makes... i hope that solves it for you, but you're looking at $8 so it's really worth a try

ok it will be of great help then.
thank you for your reply CCP... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.