Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Could wlan be integrated in mobile Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waltz_Fan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I have a doubt whether wlan can be integrated within mobilephone.
And how much current would cost using wlan IC(54Mbits,maxim power output)?

So basicallly the just added another band? seperate tranciever section

interesting, so those phones have WiFi integrated. so, they use WiFi at the data link layer, but i am curious whether they have implemented network and even transport protocols. HTTP over TCP/IP? that would be quite interesting, a cell phone getting an IP and connecting to your home network, etc... what can be the usage scenario? transfer the photos on your cellular to the PC via WiFi? transfer mp3's to your cellular? hmm.

From EET magazine:

Platform integrates WLAN, Bluetooth, FM audio
Posted : 14 Apr 2006

Texas Instruments Inc. (TI) announced the WiLink 5.0 solution that integrates mobile WLAN (mWLAN), Bluetooth and FM stereo audio in a platform for cellphones. The solution caters to applications such as rapid data access, mobile entertainment and connectivity between the WLAN and cellular networks.

The WiLink 5.0 platform integrates TI's BlueLink 6.0 solution, which combines Bluetooth with high fidelity FM stereo and mono performance on a single chip. Manufactured in TI's DRP technology at the 90nm node, the device is said to reduce solution size and power consumption by up to 20 percent over competitive solutions. The platform uses the second generation of TI's Bluetooth/WLAN hardware and software coexistence package.

Waltz_Fan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you,guys:)
The more important I want to know, how much current will cost when using wlan IC(54Mbits,maxim power output)?

I saw one cellpones integrating GSM and wifi. When using wifi, it add 500mA. 500mA! Is it normal?

From what I know GSM is not working in the same time with WLAN, assuming that you are not going to browse the net during a phone conversation.
But this is not mandatory.

In TX mode GSM the average current consumption of entire transmitter is approximately 250mA (for duty-cycle 12.5%).

500mA is too much for WLAN 54Mb, when the PA takes approximately 250mA in this mode and the rest of the radio no more than 100mA.
The WLAN chipsets dedicated for mobiles use DC power optimization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back