Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

copper cable getting blackened in cable manufacturing

Status
Not open for further replies.

isurunalaka

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, does any one know why copper cables are getting blackened after some time of cable manufacturing? are there any ways to prevent this issue?

blackening in copper

there may be many reasons why a copper turns to black.

sometime you may not be able to solder to the copper as it was in nonblack state.

manytimes it is identified as sulphur causing reaction.
exposure to that atmosphere is one cause.
it will smell bad when it is black.

even if it is not in that environment , the raw copper sourced for manufacture may contain that as impurity.

The black on old copper cable is due to sulphide or oxygen reactions. That is why the majority of cables are tinned plated. Old rubber covered cable was very bad for this, as sulphur was used in the process of making rubber. I have found that the only way to solder these old blackened cables is to scrape the black off, ordinary solder flux does not touch it. Acid based (plumbing) flux might clean it off but will lead all sorts of other problems.
Frank

The insulated wires in my very cheap Chinese solar garden lights turn black and are impossible to solder. The rain leakage and humidity caused it. My replacement wires do not turn black because they have some quality.

what property in cable accelerates blackening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back