Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Convergence issue with feedback amplifier described in SystemVerilog in AMS simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamyboy_999

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to create a behavioral model for a feedback amplifier in SystemVerilog and simulate it. I have included the code of the feedback amplifier below, the module calculates the difference of a scaled sense voltage with a predefined value and multiples the difference by a gain.

module LDO_2p2V_ErrorAmp_zz (OUTP, Vsense);

input real Vsense;
output real OUTP;
parameter real VBG_val = 1.201;
parameter real voltage_div_factor = 0.539539087;
real Vsense_div;
parameter real amp_gain = 10;
assign Vsense_div = Vsense * voltage_div_factor;
assign OUTP = (VBG_val - Vsense_div)*amp_gain;

endmodule

At the top level, 'Vsense' and 'OUTP' ports are connected together to form the feedback. A resistive load is connected between 'OUTP' and ground. I use AMS simulator in ADE to simulate the behavior. When amp_gain is something higher than 5 (approximately), the simulation does not converge (the voltage nodes goes so high (1 GV) and simulation stops). More specifically, the error message is:

ERROR (SPECTRE-16385): There were 7 attempts to find the DC solution. In
some of those attempts, a signal exceeded the blowup limit of its
quantity. The last signal that failed is V(dummy_LDO_tb.net04) =
-1.00003 GV, for which the quantity is `V' and the blowup limit is (1
GV). It is possible that the circuit has no DC solution.

Any thoughts?

Perhaps somebody could help you, if you'd show or describe your test bench, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.