Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling Gate turn off thyristors GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

pns2050

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Its been sometime now that i am trying to figure out an efficient way to turn on and off a GTO thyristor but i cannot find a solution,
i ve searched the net a lot but i couldnt find any information regarding the triggering of a GTO.

I know that it requires a positive pulse to its gate like a thyristor would do to start conducting , and a negative pulse with current of around 20-30% of its anode-cathode current to turn it off. But how would i manage to produce that from a single circuit and feed it the gate?

I tried to produce a positive pulse and a negative pulse from two different circuits and connect both outputs to gate but of course its not an efficient solution, sometimes it works , sometimes it doesnt respond correctly.

Please can you refer a book where i can learn more about this ? Or anyone who worked with GTO's before can tell me a few ideas? I want so much to make this work but i cant find a lead from where to start, the information on internet is really limited about the specific subject

Thanks in advance

Dear pns2050
Hi
Can you show me the schematic that you're referring to , please ? thus perhaps i can help you .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hello goldsmith,

i tried with the simple circuit below to experiment with the GTO thyristor BT-157 , to be able to see its triggering characteristics before going any further..

Untitled.png.

I have tried 2 ways to turn it on/off both failed..

First way

i used 2 PIC16F871 microcontrollers, one was producing a positive Voltage pulse , and the other one was producing a negative voltage pulse to turn it off theoretically.
I managed to do that my having the second PIC microcontroller having as reference voltage -5V and 0V as ''High''.
But having two different outputs connected on THYRISTORS gate was not resulting to reliable turn on/off. Sometimes it was working sometimes was not.So i figured out i had to produce the triggering pulses from a single source..

Second way

Untitled1.png

With sending inputs to Q1 and Q2 i was able to get the following pulses but it wasnt enough to trigger the thyristor currentwise. BT-157 needs more than 100mA to turn on and more than 200mA to turn off..

Untitled3.png

So my question is what is an efficient way to control a GTO thyristor. I tried some ideas i had because i cant find anywhere information how to do so..

Thank you for your reply

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 72

Status
Not open for further replies.