Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control electronically the peak of intensity of an universal motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricboy

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody!
I'd like to be enlightened about something.
I'd like to control the universal motor (230ac,16A) of a drill to replace the peak of the intensity (due to the time taken by the rotor to rotated and to provide the counter EFM) by a ramp but I don't how to begin.Maybe with a microcontroller or totally analogically.

I dont understand
what you exactly mean to do.

replace the peak of the intensity (due to the time taken by the rotor to rotated and to provide the counter EFM) by a ramp

I want to realize a "soft start" for a drill that's to say avoid this peak (which occurs at every start) and regulate the intensity until the start of the drill. That's what i meant by ramp (directly from 0A to the normal speed).

Thank you for answering.

Ok now I understand

1 phase , 230Vac motor , current 16A .
Have this motor starter capacitor.

I can check , can you use thyristor controller circuit for dropping
motor voltage at start time. ( 3...5 sec.)

Ie the motor accelerate with increasing current and then close the motor
contactor.

KAK

Thank you
I don't how to use theses capacitors but that's a good start.
For the thyristor controller, i'm not sure to completely understand but it looks like it fits with what i want.
Which form of these circuits (bridges, triac-diac) will drop the voltage just for the start time?
And how could I close automatically the contactor when all this circuit will be in a drill?

Here I found a soft starter circuit with triac.
Soft start time is adjusted via simple RC-circuit. 0....5sec.
And used triac current must be minimum 25A ( 35A is Ok)
Or change the circuit for 2 thyristors.

See part & picture : 9.6 Soft Start Switch

**broken link removed**

Regards KAK

Status
Not open for further replies.