Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control Aquarium water pump with relay and ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

riksworld

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am currently putting together a system for my new aquarium setup which is arriving in 4 weeks time, currently I am thinking of purchasing the following items:

1 x ETH-RLY16 (https://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/eth_rly16tech.htm)

1 x 1400 L/H AQUARIUM PUMP (**broken link removed**)

I know the ETH-RLY16 can support 240V at 16Amps which is more than enough for the pump, which is around 0.10 Amps, it supports Common, Normally open & Normally closed, the controller is powered by a 12V psu.

Its been a long time since I have done anything like this before with relays and i cant remember how you wire up a pump to this type of setup, could anyone on here please kindly post some help.

Any reply`s would be thanked.

How are you going to power the relay board? The simplest way is to use a standard plug-in mains PSU with the correct size DC plug.

Do you want the pump to be off until turned on, or on until turned off? If the former, then use common and normally-open relay contacts. Otherwise use common and normally-closed. The diagram below assumes you want the pump off until turned on.

Wire the Live side of the mains into the relay, as above. The neutral and Earth can go directly to the pump. The use of a few terminal blocks will make wiring easier and clearer.

The relay board might have an Earth point too, if so run another Earth wire to it. The enclosure itself should be Earthed too if it is metal.

Does that help?

pond1.gif

Thanks FoxyRick, It makes sense now.

The controller is powered by a seperate 12V psu, as far as the data sheet shows, there is no seperate earth, just Common, N/O & N/C, the enclosure will be encased in plastic to protect it against static and damage.

According to your schematic, all I have to do is supply a 230V Live rail, then split the cable, possibly with some in-line connectors to seperate the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back