Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Construction of Motor Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

vreg

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Can someone suggest a stable and robust design for constructing motor drivers. I have tried a number of motor drivers but they all seem to blow up due to unknown reasons while driving the motors. The motor drivers are controlled using arduino outputs.

Please don't give the design of the standard H-Bridge driver.

Last edited:

Isn't how-to make a working H-Bridge driver your greatest problem?

You're going to have to provide at least a minimum amount of useful information for anyone to help you.
What is the motor and the motor's current, voltage requirements? Bidirectional rotation needed?
H bridges are common ways of driving motors and work perfectly well when properly designed for the application

You're going to have to provide at least a minimum amount of useful information for anyone to help you.
What is the motor and the motor's current, voltage requirements? Bidirectional rotation needed?
H bridges are common ways of driving motors and work perfectly well when properly designed for the application

I am using either this dc motor https://www.portescap.com/products/brush-dc-motor/35glt2R82 or this servo https://www.sgbotic.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=1359

I have tested the motor drivers with the dc motor (not the servo). Can you please detail what all you we have to take into account so that the drivers don't blow up.

Yeah, the aim is to build an H-Bridge, but I wanted to know how to make the design better and more robust than just connecting four BJTs/MOSFETs together.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't how-to make a working H-Bridge driver your greatest problem?

Yeah, sorry for the miscommunication. I intend to build an H-Bridge but I want to know how to build a circuit that won't suddenly fail while starting or in use. My previous motor drivers tended to blow up randomly even after working properly for sometime. Is this common or can I do something to improve their designs, so that they won't fail me at the most unexpected times?

What voltage motor are you using - the link you show has several motors ranging from 24V to 90V nominal and current ratings from 60mA to 120mA, and you don't say which suffix of the motor part number for anyone to tell. What is the power supply voltage you are using. Does it have plenty of current output for the motor(s) you plan to connect?

You also wouldn't need to be using an H bridge for the servo version - it is a "smart" RC servo and just requires the usual RC PWM signal and connection to a power supply.
To design a circuit, you have to know the parameters you are designing to - that is what makes a good design versus just slapping parts together and praying. The choice of MOSFETs, diodes, drivers, etc. should be chosen appropriately for the voltage and currents you are using - otherwise it will either be over-designed and you won't like paying extra for the parts, or it will smoke (again).

Hi,
Can someone suggest a stable and robust design for constructing motor drivers. I have tried a number of motor drivers but they all seem to blow up due to unknown reasons while driving the motors. The motor drivers are controlled using arduino outputs.

Are you using an IC to driver the H-Bridge or are you making your own circuit? The motor you are using doesn't even draw a lot of current. Like other people who posted here, you need to provide more info...what kind of mosfets are u using, wheres your circuit? Can your mosfet handle the load? It could be shoot through where both top and bottom mosfets are temporarily on.

What is blowing up?? The mosfets? The driver used to drive the it? Are you even using FETS...or npn...pnp....

Please don't give the design of the standard H-Bridge driver.[/QUOTE]
Typically the standard H-Bridge will cause no problem, I think its how you are driving it or maybe your choice of component just cant handle the load. Beef it up...

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.