Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connector and Mating - Information not clear

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using this DC Jack and this adapter to power my board.

I just want to check whether they will mate with each other.

The adapter output connection has 5.5mm x 2.1mm x 12mm.

The DC Jack (mentioned in digikey) has industry standard dimension of 5.5mm x 2.1mm.

But when I check the DC Jack drawing, it is not clear.

Also, to verify the mating depth of 12mm, the DC Jack drawing, the information is not clearly visible.

Can someone check and let me know how to verify the mating depth of 12mm and whether these two will mate with each other?

As a rule, you just wasted more money thinking about it than by
buying a small quantity and seeing for yourself. If you're on the
clock and the purchase is on somebody else's charge number.

A smartly-run vendor would have cross references between parts.
You could try that. You could try distributors with web selection
tools, maybe find what the dominant form is and follow that for
more options and better prices.

There are no detail drawings, have to believe that 5.5x2.1mm means the same in both cases. According to my experience that's expectable.

Hi,
But when I check the DC Jack drawing, it is not clear.
I think it´s rather clear what happens here.

5.5mm and 2.1mm are the "nominal" values. To give the connectors a common name. Indeed meant that it´s more easy for users to chose mating partners.
And for them to fit you need to use "tolerances". That´s why the production drawing has different values.

If you don´t use tolerances and you produce a 5.5mm hole and produce a 5.5mm plug you have a 50% chance that it will not fit.
Thus you need to produce the hole "a little wider" and the plug "a bit smaller" for them to fit 100%.

It´s a quite common pratice in mechanics.

Added, about the length.:
here you may use plug that is longer that the hole is deep. Thus you uensure proper operation even if the jack is mounted behind a 1.5mm thick wall of an enclosure.

Klaus

Last edited:
Th
Hi,

I think it´s rather clear what happens here.

5.5mm and 2.1mm are the "nominal" values. To give the connectors a common name. Indeed meant that it´s more easy for users to chose mating partners.
And for them to fit you need to use "tolerances". That´s why the production drawing has different values.

If you don´t use tolerances and you produce a 5.5mm hole and produce a 5.5mm plug you have a 50% chance that it will not fit.
Thus you need to produce the hole "a little wider" and the plug "a bit smaller" for them to fit 100%.

It´s a quite common pratice in mechanics.

here you may use plug that is longer that the hole is deep. Thus you uensure proper operation even if the jack is mounted behind a 1.5mm thick wall of an enclosure.

Klaus

Thank you. Do you think this combination of mating doesn't match? Just asking the reason.

Because you mention, "
here you may use plug that is longer that the hole is deep. Thus you uensure proper operation even if the jack is mounted behind a 1.5mm thick wall of an enclosure."

Hi,

Thank you. Do you think this combination of mating doesn't match? Just asking the reason.
How do you come to this conclusion? I tried to explain the opposite:
A nominal "5.5 / 2.1 mm plug" will fit to a nominal "5.5 / 2.1 mm jack".

And the same is with the length: They designed it that it will fit... and it does not matter if there is an enclosure wall or not.
This does not mean it will fit all the way in .. but it will work. Work in the meaning of it does what it is meant to do: connect the contacts to enable current flow.

You work all day with "nominal values". Like a 12 V battery .. never has exactly 12.000V. But still you use it. You use it during charging up to 14.4V and you use it down to 11.0V. And you never talk about a 14.4V battery or a 11V battery, it still is a 12V battery.

Klaus

Hi,

How do you come to this conclusion? I tried to explain the opposite:
A nominal "5.5 / 2.1 mm plug" will fit to a nominal "5.5 / 2.1 mm jack".

And the same is with the length: They designed it that it will fit... and it does not matter if there is an enclosure wall or not.
This does not mean it will fit all the way in .. but it will work. Work in the meaning of it does what it is meant to do: connect the contacts to enable current flow.

You work all day with "nominal values". Like a 12 V battery .. never has exactly 12.000V. But still you use it. You use it during charging up to 14.4V and you use it down to 11.0V. And you never talk about a 14.4V battery or a 11V battery, it still is a 12V battery.

Klaus
Thank you for the clarification.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back