Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting mobile to FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

askhater

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am working in a project to connect cell phone(with usb cable) to FPGA board
and the development board contains only RS232 interface so do anyone have idea
about how to convert USB (cell phone) to RS232(board) ?

N.B:

usb to serial converter wont work because there must be host which is PC
so if any one have any solution or know a cable will help
Thanks

use PC usb and 2 serial port, besides if there fpga on the board you need to boot up

Iouri said:
use PC usb and 2 serial port, besides if there fpga on the board you need to boot up

what do u mean by PC usb ?

Is this mean to put pc as a converter between cell phone & FPGA

And Thanks for your fast reply

There is an exciting new family of chips that provide this host function from FTDI. Check out

https://www.ftdichip.com/FTProducts.htm#Vinculum

The also have some inexpensive development kits so you can try it out without spinning boards and sinking lots of time. I think one of these chips is the bridge device you are looking for.

Well, as you mentioned, for the USB, there should be a HOST (like PC).

And on the Cell Phone, there may be two types of USB functions, one is the RS232 conversion, and the other is Mass Storage.

So, if you want to do so, better use a chip that can do as a HOST function. Many ARM chip could do, and the ARM chips are also equiped with UART...

However, most of the demo for the ARM chip are for mass storage, to interface through USB with card reader, or thrumbdrive, and even Web CAM, for the USB-232, I think you may need to implement the driver yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.