Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting handset of a telephone to computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dknot

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

I have a simple question about connecting a handset of old telephone to computer. Is it somehow dangerous to connect both speaker and microphone of handset of old telephone to computer? I would just solder speaker voltage + speaker ground into 2,5mm audio plugger and microphone voltage + microphone ground into same type of plugger. Then I could use handset to hear sound from computer and for speaking purposes. It is a little stupid idea, I know ^^.

I heard from somewhere that it could be dangerous, but I did not understand the reason for that.

Thanks already for your answers,

-Dknot

You can connect a handset to a computer, it's just a small loudspeaker and micrphone so it will work fine. The only thing to watch out for is that very old telephones used carbon granule microphones which won't work properly but these were not used in phones made in the last 10 years or so.

What you absolutely must NOT do is connect the telephone itself into the computer without proper isolating circuits. Phone lines carry relatively high voltages which could easily damage a computer and give you big phone bills!

Brian.

Thanks Brian!

I was also considering so, but it was definitely worth asking. I think there has been misunderstanding between connecting handset and telephone itself in answer I previously heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back