Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connect DSP?microcontroller directly to IRS2101 - It is safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sei

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Is it safe to connect DSP/Microcontroller directly to High & Low Side Driver, IRS2101 (for driving PWM)? The IRS2101 will be driving the IRF840 Mosfet power switch. Usually, the literature on the internet shows a lot of people will use an optocoupler between a DSP/microcontroller and a high & low side driver. The optocoupler switching speed is slower, this is annoying.

In my point of view, WE CAN CONNECT DIRECTLY FROM DSP/MICROCONTROLLER TO HIGH & LOW SIDE DRIVER.

My reason:
1) The mosfet switching (IRF840), allows high current to flow from Drain (D) to Source (S) only. Your Get (G) is safe - protection no.1
2) If the mosfet switch breakdown, worst case scenario, the IRS2101 will protect from back current whatsoever into the DSP/Microcontroller - protection no. 2

What is your opinion? Any bad experience you want to share? :???:

I don't see a problem to connect them directly assuming that the output voltage level of your DSP/mcu in high enough, the input transition levels for LOW are <0.8v and for HIGH >2.5v.
The datasheet says that the input bias for high/low levels are just 5-10uA so you could also add resistors between the IRS chip and DSP/mcu

Alex

Reactions: sei

sei

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back