Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Communication protocol for mixed-signal systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mar11

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

there are a lot of communication protocols used in digital and embedded systems like AMBA, OPC, CoreConnect..., but I am looking yet for typical communication protocols used in mixed-signal systems. May you name me some of such communication protocols used in the industries. One application could be the communication between the AD/DA Converter to the digital component. Such communication shall be based on a specific protocol if I ma not wrong...

Any suggestion is welcome

P.S.: I am not sure if I am right here in this thread to post my question.

Hi,

AMBA has a bunch of interface standards and is typically within the SoC i.e. ASIC, Coreconnect is typically for processors designs and is pretty effective.
Whereas OPC is collection of standards which is not typically at the hardware level but more on the system level.
When your looking at a per say: FPGA -> FPGA you can use an AMBA: AXI interface. for an output of an A/D converter your looking at only a single bus. An interface protocol typically consists of a set of signals/bus (address,data).

Thanks, but I think that my question is still not answered. I am looking for familiar communication protocols used in analog-mixed signal system not pure digital communication protocols....

Any suggestion..

When you mention signal communication protocol, you do realize it that it typically entails to digital domain. the analog front end consists of the signal conditioning coming from the input of the transducer, which could consist of amplifiers, clock circuitry, analog filter but it typically independent and the processing is typically after the A/D. After which, the communication protocol kicks in.

i.e. mixed-signal design does not mean you need a new communication protocol but rather your technology node should support it and the A/D interface is the only signal path between them. Nevertheless, there are good design guidelines for these mixed-signal designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.