Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Combining 2 Alternators (Same Brand) in parallel for enhancing o/p Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj0092

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Our application requires maximum output, for this we are installing two alternators(Same brand (28V / 185A)) in the vehicle. We are replacing vehicle stock alternator and adding another additional alternator. In this way both alternators will provide maximum output to our load (Alternator charges the vehicle battery, once its charged, both alternators will contribute to my load).
I am using battery equalizer so that my vehicle (Land Cruiser 2015) battery will also work in addition to external batteries (with same specs but different from stock vehicle battery) which I have installed for my load (high power lights).

My question is if I install two alternators in parallel (with separate regulators), will it damage the batteries? or any other hazards ?

Will this fulfill my requirement for having maximum output.

I have attached the picture of my circuit. 2 Alternators in parallel.png

It will work - but make absolutely sure both the two alternators include rectifiers. The rectifiers ensure current can not flow IN to the alternator, if it did you would have a situation where one loaded the other instead of them working cooperatively.

Brian.

The thing is, every single piece of machinery, mechanical or electrical, has parameter tolerances.

Even though they may be identical, and be running at the same speed, there will always be one of the pair which will have a higher voltage. That generator will bear the brunt of the load.

I believe that, similar to paralleling power supplies, you will have to have some sort of matching scheme. It could be as simple as a pair of very low value power resistors, or similar to your battery equalizer, an active circuit which will ensure that the load is shared equally.

If I were doing this, I think I would prefer to keep the 12v and 24v battery systems totally independent, each with its own alternator.
Far fewer potential problems.

Looks like you need a special regulator that controls both alternators.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

One regulator will take the load while the other has a picnic, you'll need load sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back