Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

circuitry solution needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

_SquiD_

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

can anyone give me a solution (circuit) for transforming a variation of 220V AC ± 10% into a variation from 0 to 5V ?

Thanks in advance.

-SQD-

If I understood well your problem is that you want to measure mains fluctuations.. what about using an opto-coupler!

If I understood well your problem is that you want to measure mains fluctuations.. what about using an opto-coupler!

yes, finally someone tried to understand me. Can you be more specific how can I measure the fluctuations of the 220 VAC using a optocoupler ?

-SQD-

I'm not sure where an opto-coupler comes in to play but this is the method I would use:

1. Step it down with a conservatively rated transformer to say 6V AC. A small transformer is more likely to saturate and be non-linear.
2. rectify the AC, the variation will be the same regardless of whether it's AC or DC but DC is MUCH easier to work with.
3. use minimal filtering so that rapid variation in voltage is easier to see.
4. scale the voltage so the highest it will reach at maximum AC is just under 5V. Place a Zener diode across it just to be sure it can't go higher.
5. compare it with a 5V reference derived from an accurate source and amplify the difference so the +/-10% becomes 0 - 5V
6. measure the difference voltage !

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.