Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chip antenna on 4-layer board

Status
Not open for further replies.

richas

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
I am designing a PCB where there will be a wifi module and associated chip antenna on the bottom of the board. There will be a very short trace between the module and the antenna. I need to calculate the trace width such that the impedance is 50 ohms.

The layers go as signal, ground, vcc, and signal. so there will be two substrate layers between the trace and the ground plane. FYI there will be no copper under the antenna itself.

So when I calculate the trace width I assume I add the width of these substrate layers together. What about air gaps left by absent copper? Not an issue? Do I get the substrate thicknesses from the PCB manufacturer?

Thanks

Rich

The air gaps left by absent copper is just around 17 or 35microns (usually) which can be neglected.

Anyways you can have a quick simulation and check if there would be any changes with / without air gap and I do feel the results would be the same.

Reactions: richas

richas

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The air gaps left by absent copper is just around 17 or 35microns (usually) which can be neglected.

Anyways you can have a quick simulation and check if there would be any changes with / without air gap and I do feel the results would be the same.

Thank you for the reassurance. Since I have not found anyone addressing this I assumed it was a non-issue but I appreciate the help.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back