Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheapest wirless LAN/PAN solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaboor

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
does any one have an idea of the cheapet wirless solution that can go for 500m.
If not 500m, then what is the cheapest solution anf what is the max range?

What speed do you need?

The range is very dependant on the enviroment it is used in. 500m is easy if the fixed transceiver is 50m above the ground and you can see it from 500m away.

If there are several concrete and steel building in the path of the radio waves then it mostly won't work.

The cheapest option is 315MHz/433MHz modules that carry a data rate of typically 9600bits/second.

well, i am not looking for high speed. normally kbit range.

its not LOS application. its inside the building. however, i thought i can use like repeaters or hot spots if you want.

iam not sure about the band you are talking about. I thought about 2.4GHz because it is free!! (Zigbee or WiFi)

433MHz is also free and is satisfy for frequency desiremet.

Hi gaboor,
If 315MHz, you can get more range with same transmitter power.

Apparently, i will just use 2.4 GHz, i know with lower frequency i can get more penetration. But because of required bit rates and frequency regulation i can only use the 2.4Ghz band.

I was thinking of ZigBee with mesh netwrok. However, ZigBee is still very new and apparently there is no a lot of success stories!

I checked Atmel and other comanies that produce the modules. I was wondering if i want to write a the sfotware for my application (Mesh network), how can i proceed with that? Any ideas?

Search following WiFi chipset manufacturers (copy past from newsgroup- Thanks Jeff Liebermann):

ADMTek
Agere (Lucent)
Airgo
Aironet
Atheros
Atmel
Broadcom
InProComm
Intel (Centrino)
Intersil/Frisbee
IPW (Intel)
Javelin
Marvel
NWN (3com)
Orinoco
Philips (Centrino)
Prism (Harris/Intersil/etc)
Ralink
Realtek
Symbol
Texas Instruments
Zydas

Some drivel:
- Intel 2100 series Centrino uses wireless chips from Philips.
- IPW is Intel ProSet Wireless starting with 2200.
- Orinocco is actually a mess of manufacturers (in order) from:
Wavelan, Orinoco, Lucent, Agere, Avaya, and Proxim which use Prism
chipsets from Harris, Intersil, Conexant, Frisbee, and Javelin.
- Symbol uses various chip foundries.
- NWN is "No Wires Needed" in Netherlands. I think (not sure) they're
now part of Alvarion/Breezecom.
- Aironet is owned by Cisco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back