Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheapest Microcontroller [suggestions required]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheapest Microcontroller

can some one give me the best opttion for having a mcu with 6adc and round about 15 pins as i/o that costs the least.. if pwm is awailable on 2 pins it would be the best.. i have used atmega8 but doesnt have pwm...

Added after 1 minutes:

if its avr it would help more as iam fimiliar with its programing

Re: Cheapest Microcontroller

sherazi said:
can some one give me the best opttion for having a mcu with 6adc and round about 15 pins as i/o that costs the least.. if pwm is awailable on 2 pins it would be the best.. i have used atmega8 but doesnt have pwm...

Added after 1 minutes:

if its avr it would help more as iam fimiliar with its programing

atmega8 has 3 pwm pins with several modes

Check out the datasheet for more details

Nandhu

Cheapest also depends on the cost of the programming language.

I find PIC is quite cheap, and I enjoy using JalV2 (open source) microcontroller language.

Cost of the PIC depends on what features you need. Some small pics can be bought for less then 50 cents, large PICs cost around $5

Matt.

nandhu015 said:
atmega8 has 3 pwm pins with several modes

i have seen a number of suffix with atmega8 can u tell me whats the diff or which is better

for eg atmega8l-8pu
atmega8l-16pu
atmega8-8ai

etc etc

Cheapest Microcontroller

Hi sherazi,
The atmega8l-8pu works upto a maximum frequency of 8MHz, ie, 8 MIPs, the 16pu upto 16MHz-16MIPS. I'm not sure about the last one though.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Cheapest Microcontroller

Tahmid!
thanx alot, thats what it means..... as far as Pu MU and other letters uesd in suffix are concerned those are for the type of pakage, eg PU is the DIP pakage

if u just look at that image, showing a page of datasheet its obvious..

2. Worry about the cost only if you plan on building thousands

I agree with that.

hardware cost is only meaningful if you are a mass producer.

for a developer or small quantity production, software cost / development costs associated with supporting a platform is the most significant.

i also do agree with that,

at some places you have to even take considerations of availability, for instance i being in Oman cant get micros easily and when i have to buy some i do it usually on my trip to Dubai... but even then i can just get PIcs there in local stores, hence for a single avr i have to pay the shipping costs as i have to buy it from online distributors...
so i do use PIC then...

at the end.... i would say that

you have to take lots of things in consideration, including your design requirements, availability of the micro itself , availability of resources for that design , etc etc...

one would be able to tell the best MCU for a specific design and other factors given... As a general its not possible...

even sometimes you have to chose one based on your skills with that MCU...

For heavens sake, a grave digger. This thread is 6 years old :-((
And the answer is still incorrect. It depends on both, which device AND how many.
Bob

even sometimes you have to chose one based on your skills with that MCU...

based on my experience as a developer, I would say that supporting multiple devices is extremely expensive.

We do mostly arm-related work, and have 8-bit (PIC) capabilities mostly for marketing purposes (so that we can offer a complete suite of solutions). However, we have put the above strategy for a review as it is costing us an arm and a leg to maintain the 8-bit capability which isn't bringing in much revenue for us.

we are looking to see if the newer 32-bit chips are attractive enough for our customers so that they will find it acceptable to take low-end 32-bit chips in lieu of the 8-bit chips.

we will see.

The cheapest controller in INDIA would be i think AVR as it is less in cost compared to a PIC but has better performance than a PIC.
Regards,
Jerin.

The cheapest controller in INDIA would be i think AVR as it is less in cost compared to a PIC but has better performance than a PIC.
Regards,
Jerin.

Yes, it's true. PIC is costlier than AVR and also hard to understand for newbies as comapared to AVR.

Hi,
I know this is an old thread, but just so it might help someone, in Bangladesh as well, the AVR is cheaper and newbies tend to go towards AVR than PIC.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Re: cheapest microcontroller

Hai,
Which one is cheap 8 bit mcu

motorola

or atmel

avr

pic

Dear Senthil,
If your doubts are cleared then why won't you mark this thread as SOLVED so that similar replies can be avoided.
Regards,
Jerin.

Status
Not open for further replies.