Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charge Sheet Model of MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin1109

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I have a question regarding the charge sheet model of the MOSFET. I am currently reading the book "Systematic Design of Analog CMOS Circuits" by Jespers and Murmann.

I am a bit unsure of the physical phenomenon that causes the behavior shown in the attached graph. The graph was generated by the Authors and provided in a MATLAB file, I screenshot the resulting output of the .m. This is Figure 2.2(page 25) in the book.

My understanding based on the figure and the explanation in the book:
The channel voltage "V" has control on the surface potential "\[\psi\]s" up until the pinch-off voltage which denotes the boundary between strong and weak inversion. Strong Inversion is to the left of the pinch-off and weak inversion is to the right of the pinch-off.

I am having a hard time understanding the underlying reason as to why this is the case.

My Questions:
1. My main question pertains to why can we determine weak vs. strong inversion based on this alone(psi and V)?
2. I know the concept of a threshold voltage is irrelevant when it comes to the CSM(Charge Sheet Model) but how does that have an impact on why we can sweep through strong and weak inversion with a constant gate voltage Vg?

Regards,
Melvin

Attachments

• Figure 2-2, CSM.PNG
    Figure 2-2, CSM.PNG
    17.1 KB · Views: 100

Status
Not open for further replies.