Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cell phone coulomb counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plecto

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello :) I understand that the percentage showing the remaining energy on my phone is known by having an ammeter measure the current going out from the battery thus knowing how much that's left, but I have a couple of questions. Does the phone know that the battery is full by measuring the temperature or perhaps a voltage spike from the battery? If so, is the coloumb counter constantly updated after each charge to account for the loss in battery capacity over time? What if the phone is never charged to full, how can the phone then really know how much energy that's left in the battery? Question I'm asking is because I recently replaced the battery in my phone. My old battery had about 60% left, I changed to the new battery and the phone still showed 60% (as expected). As the battery charged, the percentage kept rising, but it stopped at 100% and told me to unplug it. I had expected it to perhaps linger at 99% or something like that as this new battery probably has 3-4 times the capacity of the old one (unknowingly by my phones). Do I perhaps have to reset the coulomb counter when replacing a battery in order to get the full capacity of my new battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.