Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car amplifier understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
A switched mode power supply uses a high frequency (50kHz to hundreds of kHz) transformer that is fairly small and has a ferrite core.
A 12V car battery drives the high frequency oscillator that uses Mosfets to drive very high currents into the high frequency transformer then its output is rectified and filtered into the high voltage DC to feed the amplifier. Or 110VAC is rectified and filtered into 155VDC that is used to drive a high frequency oscillator that feeds a high frequency transformer then its output is rectified and filtered into the voltages needed to power the amplifier. The transformer provides isolation and changes the AC voltage to the amount that is needed.

Ok so in other words using 110VAC I would use mains 110V and send it directly to a bridge rectifier to get 155Vdc then send that to an oscilator to generate the pwm signals to drive the transformer(Ferrite core). If so I will look for some example of different circuit that I think I can put together then make a schematic to show you.

- - - Updated - - -

thats what I came up with..... what do you think?

I do not know if an IR2153 can work push-pull like that because it is designed to be a half bridge driver to drive a single primary winding through a series capacitor.

the reason i used it is because I have been in a forum where persons have used it in this manner as an inverter where the applied 90v battery power for a push and pull of 40khz.

I could add some filters after the rectifier to smoothen the dc

Here is an Example of a Switching Power Supply.
Uc3843-3.PNG

that looks nice, I am assuming that even if I was to try that circuit that I could remove the diodes from the secondary of the transformer and use it as a center tap so that I could get dual polarity for an amplifier.

Yes, and the Output can be Either Stepped UP or Down in Voltage.
You could also have Multiple Output Windings.

Your Biggest Problem is Making a SUITABLE Ferrite Core Transformer for the Frequency of Operation.
Typically it should be wound with LITZ Wire, to better handle the High Frequencies involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.