Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitors and Inductors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedance

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

I wanted any reference that u might feel has explored the concepts of inductors and capacitors effectively. I wanted to know everything abt them. Is there any book there deals exclusively for the components? And, i am not interested in the design part of the capacitors and also the type of capacitors available. Only their working in an non-elusive way.... that is it... any suggestions???

regards,
arunmit168.

mayaka2004 said:
go to collage

I dont think that was a "bantering remark"... rather sarcastic...
So kind of u... I think you might have taken pains to answer the question... and i accept the fact that u are a genious... If possible give a reference.. i am not forcing anyone to answer my question... And, never did i say that I donot know anything abt capacitors.. And did i mention anywhere "i am not going to college"?

May be your college teaches a course abt capacitors and inductors for an YEAR... Donot make the atmosphere sickening by posting these useless stuffs atleast let the others answer me so that i would get what i want..

And, if u arent able to discriminate the difference between "confidence in those subjects" and "not knowing the subject" then as u put it, U ll have to pursue an English course by going to College....

regards,
arunmit168.

The capacitor is working like a water tank and the inductor is like a shock absorber.

McGraw Hill book company once published a Components Handbook which may be at a local library or you might find one on a used book site like bookfinder.com

Your next best source would be application notes put out by makers of the parts.

Colleges are so tight for time due to the limited four years for students that they no longer have courses on such detailed aspects of components.

flatulent said:
Colleges are so tight for time due to the limited four years for students that they no longer have courses on such detailed aspects of components.

thank u for the info and u put it right... No college have this sort of course which is a necessary course but.... i would search for the mcgrawhill book in some p2p programs b4 going for it.... as a hardcopy... thank u :)

:( :(

regards,
arunmit168.

The water tank and shock absorber is good analogy.

However these components are effected by frequency also.
If the frequencies are high enough the inductor will act like a capacitor,
and the capacitor will act like an inductor.
The frequiencies are in Mhz range so you should take this into acount when using these components at these frequencies.

Hope to add to your knowledge.
wa

WA, can u put some more light on "If the frequencies are high enough the inductor will act like a capacitor, and the capacitor will act like an inductor. " I am really not able to follow u..

arunmit168,

Since you are ”Ahead” of everybody and an Expert of everything I can’t understand why you have to ask about anything. :?

Ante :roll:

Ante said:
arunmit168,
Since you are ”Ahead” of everybody and an Expert of everything I can’t understand why you have to ask about anything. :?

i dont know what u mean by "ahead" and where u came across to attribute me to "expert of everything"... but i think there is yet to understand the difference in the question...

I knew abt capacitors adn inductors... their high frequency effects etc... and all those stuffs... I feel i am not SATISFIED with what i have pursued so far in this particular "topic"... that is y... i am confident with many of the other topics thou... I attribute the reason only to the level of confidence i have in the topic... Nothing other than that... May be u are forced to ask the question coz, the question i asked was so simple to be asked by a first year student :) hehe.. nyways.. i am doing my final year undergraduation in electronics engg only.. and its better to know something very confidently rather than posing that we know.. aint it true??? :D

regards,
arunmit168.

opamp741 Quotes
WA, can u put some more light on "If the frequencies are high enough the inductor will act like a capacitor, and the capacitor will act like an inductor. " I am really not able to follow u..

I'll just go over some basics.
1. Capacitence - Current leads Voltage by 90 degrees
2. Inductance - Voltage leads Current by 90 degrees.
This is in pure circuits only. In reality though, there are other factors.

(sorry I don't have scanner so I'll explain as best as I can)
(I had to use ' because if I don't, the | won't line up (space key not recognized))

1. The practical equivalent circuit for inductance.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''---[capacitance]---''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
>--[resistor]--|--[inductance]----|---->'''''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
the capacitance is in parallel with inductance.
Impedance (Z) = 2*pi*f*L
but because there is capacitence (depending on inductor value) I'll use an 10 micro henry and 100 micro henry inductor.
The resistance is the inductor resistance (wire) and the capacitence is due to the windings (space between wires)
- At 100 micro henrys the impedance peeks around 2 MHz. From 0 to 2MHz Z increases till about 2MHz. above 2MHz the inductance begins to decrease. This is because, little by little, the circuit takes on the charactistics of a capacitor.
- At 10 micro henrys the impedance peaks around 5Mhz.

2. The practical Capacitence equivelent.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
>------------''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''''''''|'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''''''''|'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'''''''''''''''[inductor]'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'''''''''''''''''''''|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'''''''''''''''''''''----------------------'''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'''''''''''''''''''''|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''|''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'''''''''''''''''''''|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''|''''''''''''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''[resistor1]'''''''''''''[resistor2]'''''''''''''
''''''''''''[capacitence]'''''''''''''''''|''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'''''''''''''''''''''----------------------'''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'''''''''''''''''''''|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
>-----------|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
The inductor are leads
The resistor1 is dielectric loss
The resistor2 is leakage (resistor2 in parallel with resistor1 and capacitance).
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Impedance (Z) =''''''''''''1'''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''_________''
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''2*pi*f*C'''''''
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Z starts out fairly high but decreases to zero.
(I'll use a .01 micro farad capacitor)
At around 3.5 MHz there isn't much impedance but, as freq increases above 3.5 MHz, The impedance begins to increase. This increase is because the circuit is taking on the charactistics of an inductor.

As this is a discusion topic, I'm sure other kind members can possibly provide a graph or offer better explaination than I can.

Hope this helps.
wa

arunmit168,

I was just referring to this:

Look for the book :-

Passive Components for Circuit Design

Authoured by IanSinclair and published by Newnes.

Ante said:
arunmit168,
I was just referring to this:

oh reg. that. hope not them to be sarcastic. That was for fun and nothing other than that... i dint know u ppl give so much interest in that...

I dont want to reply like these in this post because, it makes meaningless. But one issue which bothers me the most is the attitude... why do people care to concentrate more on those issues... A question is asked.. that 2 many of them may feel very simple question.... why would not they help me to answer the question... instead they tend to be sarcastic... :( :( i have changed my profile status so that no one would repeat this again atleast to me... is this the case only for the requests i make or for every one...

Thanku Beetroot for ur recommendation... i ll see that...

arunmit168 said:
Thank u Ante... I am happy...
regards,
arunmit168.

arunmit168,

OK, I promise no more jokes!
I am sorry.
It was not my meaning to offend you.

Something interesting is that the capacitor and the inductor can be said to charge like a short. You know that at a series resonant frequency you have a short. In parallel, they must still charge as a short, but the other device charges that short. The supply tends to also charge that short but the impedance is still high. Remember that a capacitor and an inductor will reach much of the total applied voltage in 1 time constant. This is another way of looking at it rather than just subtracting impedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.