Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cannot install operating system in the hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

aneesholv

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I try to install windows xp in the hard disk through bootable OS cd it is showing an error message disk not found . But I can access and use this hard disk by connecting it as secondary disk on another machine . Why this happening ? Please help me

Regards
Aneesh

Old Windows xp dont have ability to detect SATA hard disk.

Now there are xp versions which can install in SATA drives, try it.

HI aneesha,
The problem is in MBR it is corrupt do you have ghost backup or acronis backup of your previous instalation, if you have any of this you can restore your os back. otherwise you have to restore MBR using any of the software you are having and then freshly install the os. Caution! backup all the files from the disk before restoring MBR because all the data in the disk will be lost.
regards ani

But I can access and use this hard disk by connecting it as secondary disk on another machine .

Regards
Aneesh
Hi madhusuthana,
It is working as per his information
regards ani

The MBR is completely unrelated to the problem , he is trying to install XP in a sata drive and XP don't have the sata drivers to detect the drive.
He either needs to use a floppy with the drivers or add them to the iso.

Hi alexan_e,
Mr aneesh did not so far mention it is a sata drive
regards ani

He said that XP can't recognize the drive but the drive works fine in another machine that already has an OS, do you think that this can be caused by a corrupt MBR?

Hi alexan_e,
Not only XP if he try to install win 7 also it will not recognise the disk if the MBR is corrupt, but when he mounts the disk on a computer which already has a OS as a secondary drive you will be able to read the data and access the disk. There is one more method which i found usefull in this type of case. I made a bootable usb drive with grub4dos free software, when you boot from this drive you will be presented with options like boot to xp on HD, Boot on win7 from HD etc, once you select the option it will search and find the
Ntldr in first case or bootmanager in second case and load the OS.
regards ani

You can follow the steps:

1st try:
1. Open the CUP case and make sure that the data cable and power cable of HDD is properly connected
2. Open and reconnect the cables and then try to OS instal

2nd try:
1. Enter in the BIOS setup menu by pressing F1/F2/F12 according to your mother board model
2. In this menu check that IDE device (HDD) is available
3. If HDD is not available in the list, you may need an updated Win XP bootable CD/DVD which has the driver software (you can get it over internet)
4. If you try to setup Win7, select ACHI mode in the BIOS setup
5. If you try to setup WinXP, select SATA mode in the BIOS setup
6. You said that the HDD is detected with another computer in that case, you can back up your data and then delete all partition (Remember that all data will be DELETED)
6. Then try to install OS

Hi all,
So far we were discussing about Mr aneesh's problem but so far he didnt replay to any of this.

Hi susmimu,
1. so far Mr aneesh did not mention the disk is SATA
2. He did not mention the disk was used in his system and one fine day it stopped detecting or not
3. Or it is a brandnew one.
4. If it is IDE did he wrongly select master slave jumper.

let us wait for his replay
regards ani

go into BIOS
Windows XP has some problems with the hard disk in AHCP mode. If you have AHCP mode change it to ATA (in BIOS) and try to reinstall.

Windows XP cannot see a SATA drive in AHCI mode. you either need to load the drivers by pressing F6 as the installation program starts or select IDE mode in the BIOS under the SATA controller

Hai

sorry for the delay . My disk is SATA and also my bios is detecting the device . But when I try to install OS from a bootable cd its shows an error cannot identify the disk

Hi Aneesh,
Backup all your important data and rebuild your MBR
regards ani

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back