Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CAN vs other protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD_SHAHRUKH

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
I am a student and currently doing a project. My project is Implementation of CAN bus in industry . Here I want to know about the advantages of CAN bus over other industrial bus such as profi bus and foundation field bus. If CAN is so efficient in automobile then why it is not used in industries. And what problems can occur if CAN is implemented in industry automation or disadvantage of CAN in industrial automation.

I have a block diagram which I have made to make my project.
IMG-20170907-WA0002.jpg

CAN is not isolated interface. It requires common grounding which in kindly impossible in industry.

..If CAN is so efficient in automobile then why it is not used in industries....
Actually, it is used although not as much as a decade ago. Combined with RECOM 1W isolated psu.

CanBus is used in industry - CANOpen, DeviceNet are a couple of CAN Bus based network systems for industrial control and sensor networks that are still readily used. I have also implemented CANbus networks on shorter length (100 meters) networks for coordinating hundreds of axes of motion control. Further, CANbus can be implemented using fiber optic components for noise immunity and ground loop immunity, though some might consider that not CAN - still I have worked on projects with such implementation with CAN controller chips.

The ability for retries, broadcast (single producer/multiple consumers) and validation of messages are all useful feature that are easily leveraged in industrial applications.

As Industrialized Ethernet components have become available and prices of commonly available Ethernet components and controllers/embedded microcontrollers have come very low and in great variety, ProfiNet and other industrial Ethernet based systems are become more common - which has beenthe "critical mass" in spawning this "internet of things" push of recent years.

Last edited:

CAN is not isolated interface. It requires common grounding which in kindly impossible in industry.

Sir, but we can use optical fibre if ground is an issue..

- - - Updated - - -

Please suggest me an industry which needs CAN protocol.. The situation which CAN can handle, the robust nature and the differential mode communication. These features which I can show through my project.
And thank you for the suggestion for the previous post.
Thank you

CAN is mostly used in automotive industry.Communication between ECUs takes place with CAN.There are variants of CAN bus .It is possible to simulate CAN communication using CANoe with VN device.
Different CAN variants are CAN /CAN - FD /Extended CAN.
Go to Vector website to know more about CAN bus and its usage .

Status
Not open for further replies.