Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can the GSM module be realized by a FPGA chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

staraimm

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
prices of gsm module in pakistan

Can anybody give me some advice? Thanks a lot.

I googled on the internet but I can not get any valid information about the GSM module realization using a FPGA chip. Only the following link is related to realize GSM modem:
**broken link removed**

Can anybody give me more information about that? Thanks a lot.

i believe that GSM could be realized on an FPGA except for the analog frontend etc.

you see, if its digital, its possible on an FPGA. but a GSM module has analog parts as well. but you cannot realize the analog parts on an FPGA.

i hope this helps

by the way, what are you trying to do?

Can I buy a IC to realize the analog parts and let the FPGA do the digital parts? I want to build a system based on the FPGA chip to send/receive sms.

yes, that might be a possibility. but I cannot advise on the ICs you should be looking for.

be warned that GSM is a very complex system and you might need to do a lot of homework before you actually start to design your own GSM module.

and by the way, why do you want to design a whole GSM module yourself just to send and receive sms?

I want to build a simple mobile phone based on a FPGA chip. I want to choose a FPGA with the PPC embedded and then I can install linux OS. But I am not sure about whether I can build the GSM module based on FPGA chip. If not, I have to buy the GSM module and it will cost me around $100 USD. I think it's expensive.

i would recommend you to spend the $100!

the cost of the FPGA kit + EDK (for the PPC) + cores + everything else would be much greater than the $100

The cost of only the GSM module is $100. I don't know the price of the development kit.
samcheetah, Can you suggest some books about building GSM module? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back