Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone explain....

Status
Not open for further replies.

websphere

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1) 802.1Q Trunking/Tagging
2) Link Aggregation - LACP

Thanks

802.1q trunking is used when you using switch as vlan. 802.1q is the encapsulation for the trunking if i'm not wrong. Normally you can create vlan in switch(you have one default vlan1 for the management and it can't be deleted) after you create vlan, each vlan cannot communicate with each other. When they want to communicate with other switch with the same vlan they must have one dedicated port for each vlan to communicate. If you have 3 vlan then you need at least 3 port to communicate with other switch and same vlan. But when you using trunking you just need one port to connect to other switch , that port will be the trunk. The principle is nearly same with multiplexing.

That's what i know about 802.1q trunking is it clear and addequate?

Link aggregation is a way to make multiple point-to-point links appear as a single logical link.
Benefits include:
(a). High throughput (e.g. GiGE data rate) on low speed devices
(b). Fast protection against link failures
(c). Load balancing capabilities

LACP stands for Link Aggregation Control Protocol.
As the name suggests, it is a protocol for Link aggregation, standardized as part of IEEE Std 802.3 (Formerly in 802.3ad).

is link aggregation is same with etherchannel? I'm using cisco device and my instructor show me some demo about etherchannel and it seems about same with your description.

Thanks for the attention, i'm interrested in this one

Status
Not open for further replies.