Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can op-amp be used with one terminal open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTech

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings guys
I have a problem with a circuit I am working on, there on the schematic the op-amp has its inverting input pin open. The non-inverting input is connected though. Can it be used this way? What can be the expected working of the op-amp in this configuration?

I am afraid - pure garbage!

The output will go to one of the supply rails and not be affected by the input on the other pin.

Hi WTech,

I suppose you are pretty new in the analog field and my first answer ("garbage") didn`t help too much.
Therefore: The input stage of each opamp is a differential stage consisting of a pair of transistors which interact in a certain way. Therefore, there is no suitable operating point for transistor A if transistor B is "dead". Perhaps you know that a transistor is a three-pole device (handled as a 4-pole device) which needs a bias current into the base pin.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.