Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use rb7 and rb8 when U use icd2 to debug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmli1976

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
icd2 question

Cann't I use rb7 rb8 when I use icd to debug?
when using icd to programming(icsp),should I open the connection between mclr and vdd of target board?

Re: icd2 question

xmli1976 said:
Cann't I use rb7 rb8 when I use icd to debug?
when using icd to programming(icsp),should I open the connection between mclr and vdd of target board?

how come u hav a 'rb8' ??? in microchip mcu's there may be rb0~rb7,

any way if in ur target board mclr is pulled up by a 10k/4.7k and vpp(abt 13.5) is conncted directly to the mclr,

and if u hav the power supply of the icsp tat is enough to drive the board then u dont need to open the connections

regards

xmli1976

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
icd2 question

sorry it's rb6 and rb7
I maked a icd by myself using circuit from Lothar Stolz,it cann't control the vdd of target board.
So should I have to break the connection between mclr and vdd anyway?

icd2 question

ask again

Added after 9 minutes:

The description of this icd circuit advises the pull-up resister to be removed.Why?
But it would be short circuit if there isn't pull-up resistor butween vdd and mclr when programming,is it?

Re: icd2 question

I think that removing the pull up is for a very special case. Leave it in place. You will be ok.

On using the Clock and Data pins, it's tricky. You will need to figure out how to isolate the pins from the circuits they drive so programming can happen. You will be hard pressed to find a way to use those pins if you do debugging as well. Sadly, this isn't a strong suit of microchip. I've sometimes used a header with shorting plugs to allow me to use the two progamming pins for something other than programming.

xmli1976

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back