Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Can I use a gateway as a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlujang1953

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I changed from my line telephone-internet provider (AT&T) to Vonage (which provides telephone through the internet) and Clear as my internet provider. Before, using the gateway (2Wire Gateway 2701HG-B) provided by AT&T, I could connect to DirecTV (my TV provider) on Demand through a Linksys Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual Band (model WET610N) but with my new telephone and internet providers I can't do it anymore. I receive Clear through a WIXFBR-17 router that has only one ethernet port, which connects to the Vonage box (Conexant D850 56K, V.9, DFVc), also with only one ethernet port, which then connects to my wired computer. I have tried to change my bridge's IP address to be the same as the Clear router, in order that my DirecTV DVR can receive DirecTV on Demand, but I haven't been able. My question is if I can use the 2Wire Gateway to connect everything without having to buy more equipment. Thank you for your support.

If I understand your situation correctly, sounds like you need a Ethernet Switch. Then you can plug in your router, Vonage Box, access point and computer. Cisco/Linksys has several 8-port switches which would make your life a lot easier.

BigDog

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you, BigDogGuru. After all, a ethernet switch seems like the best advice and, probably, the least expensive solution. I have, nonetheless, been wondering about all the locks that big companies put in your system when you leave them (no longer subscribe to them). Being a complete novice in electronic paraphernalia, I will try your solution. I wish I could change from company to company without having to spend a couple of months trying to figure out why my network doesn't work as it should. I'm a very simple guy, but learning a lot from your advises. Happy Holydays!

---------- Post added 27-12-11 at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was 26-12-11 at 23:55 ----------

My questions, as dumb as I may seem, still remains the same. Now I know that if I get an ethernet switch I'll be able to plug in more devices. But, will my gateway work as a router?

By the way, what's been your previous internet downstream speed with AT&T? It sounds rather unlikely to operate TV on demand with Clear wireless internet, I fear.

Thank you all. I really appreciate your taking your time for trying to answer to a very unknowing person about a problem that has been solved already. Which means that I call my providers and, without acknowledging their faults, somehow I am now able to get DirecTV on Demand without using more equipment. My initial question, though, still remains: can I use a gateway as a router? I mean, does a gateway have the same capabilities as a router?

My initial question, though, still remains: can I use a gateway as a router? I mean, does a gateway have the same capabilities as a router?

After reviewing the user's manual, it does appear likely.

The Clear Modem seems to provide services typically available on a router such as a DHCP service, which would be required, as well as ensuring each device attached to the network is pointed to the Clear Modem's IP as the gateway and update each device with appropriate DNS server information. This is typically all handled by the DHCP service.

Have you attempted to logon to the Clear Modem Series G, WIXFBR-17?

I would purchase a 100base-T switch from a local source, saving the receipt just in case.

It is likely that DHCP is already enable on the device, so you may just need to plug it into a switch for it to function as a router.

If for some unforeseen reason you are unable to route to the Clear Modem, you can return the switch and purchase a router/switch with a WAN connection, but without a cable or DSL modem.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.