Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I interface micro SD card with PIC18f4550

Status
Not open for further replies.

aameer

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Friends,
i have pic18f4550 micro controller. i want to interface SD card with it. Will it works and also will it works on 4 MHz crystal.. Please Reply me.

With Regards
Aameer

Yes, of course this is possible.
The SD card, whether it is micro SD or Mini SD, or Standard SD, can communicate with your microcontroller via the SPI protocol.

There is a library available from HiTech which will allow you to use the SPI protocol with ease.
It can work at any low speed such as from your 4 MHz crystal, but please remember that there is a maximum speed, although you would be unlikely to achieve it with a regular microcontroller.

PLEASE do remember that the SD card operates at a voltage of about 3.3V, but your microcontroller operates at about 5V, so you must use a level shifter in order to not burn out the SD card due to the excessive voltage.

There are MANY tutorials available on the web about this exact subject.

Good luck!

Thanks dustmote.
can i know the interfacing circuit please. i am little bit confused

The pic18f4550 can run at 3.3V so I would suggest you use that. Also, why not run the PIC at 48MHz (I assume it has either a PLL or high speed internal clock or both)? It would speed up data transfers.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back