Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I clock gate my block after writing data into it for, says, forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

childs72

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I have some basic idea on how clock gate works & how it may reduce power consumption. Here is a scenario I am curious with:

Says I have a design, and I have a bundle of configuration registers. For operation purpose, I just need to write my configuration registers for once when I power up my IC, and I only read these registers values without modify them later. It seems like I can stop providing clock to the configuration registers after the power up stage, so the config. registers will stay at their values and I can repeatedly use the register values after that. Power saved! Sounds good? :thumbsup:

However, says if I do not turn restart my system for... says, forever! Will the config registers values stay forever while the registers are not being refreshed with clock signal? I am guessing the charges at register output will slowly gone.... Am I correct? If I am, how should I clock gate my config registers?? :thinker:

Anyone may contribute your thought here. Thanks!

However, says if I do not turn restart my system for... says, forever! Will the config registers values stay forever while the registers are not being refreshed with clock signal? I am guessing the charges at register output will slowly gone.... Am I correct? If I am, how should I clock gate my config registers?

I think you need to go back and study your master slave flip-flop circuit again. That will answer your question.

Thanks ads-ee! Took a quick look at flip-flop, so it seems like flip-flop output is merely "refreshed" but not "powered" by clock trigger. I suppose I got myself confused with the idea that DRAM requires periodically "recharge" its content (it's DRAM... right?) :bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back