Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can Anyone Identify this Part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjojoe

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been to several suppliers around town and the most anyone can tell me is that it is a resistor. But the value etc. no one knows. The part in question is the yellow resistor Inside of the circle. Not the connector.

Hi,
Yes, thes is a "Lemo-Type" connector, exactly from vendor "Fischer Connectors"...
**broken link removed**
Or these is better: http://intra.lemo.ch/WD140AWP/WD140Awp.exe/CONNECT/PartSearch
Be care pls, you can meet it in different sizes!
Your one is possibly the smallest one_ by emdee`s linked Farnel Type Nr refers at the beginn "00"... for that.
Coaxial versions are in sizes "00", "0" & "1" in all versions (Lemo, second sources from Fischer & Odu) common. HV-versions are commonly in bigger sizes realized...
K.

Thanks Guys for posting, but i think you thought I was talking about the connector and not the resistor. So I edited my post and placed a circle around the part in question. Is it a resistor? If it is what is the value, tolerence, etc.? No one that I show this part to can say for sure. I don't want to replace this part with just anything. All I know is that it is out of a swiss made device.

Thanks,

Banjojoe

It could be a power resistor, but if I were to guess, I would say it was an inductor. If you put an ohm meter across it, does it read nearly zero ohms?

I guess it should be a tubular capacitor which was oftenly used in old valve radios. As per the marking on it, it should be 4.7Kpf value.

Hi all,
As a resistor is the 4th color ring as black illogical: it stays for tolerances & begann with brown (for 1%), silver for10% & nothing or 20%..
By capacitors is 4th ring/T as black= 1%,10%=White & brown=1%...

Also, I belive that these component is a 4.7nF or even 4,7uH (maybe more possibly/real, than seems to be serial with the pwr line?)....
K.

If it works, the easiest way is to test it. If it is damaged, it would help to know what the product in and what the connector is for.

Keith.

biff44 said:
It could be a power resistor, but if I were to guess, I would say it was an inductor. If you put an ohm meter across it, does it read nearly zero ohms?

Yes, when I put an ohm meter on it it reads as thought it is open. In other words, I get a zero reading.

Banjojoe

Added after 4 minutes:

keith1200rs said:
If it works, the easiest way is to test it. If it is damaged, it would help to know what the product in and what the connector is for.

Keith.

It is in a piece of test equipment called a Gradoscop GD47 a watch analyzer made by Portescap. When I test it in or out of the board I get a zero reading so I'm wondering if it is bad.

Thanks,
Banjojoe

The problem is, without knowing what the instrument is supposed to do it is impossible to diagnose the fault remotely. With an oscilloscope and some idea of what it is supposed to do it might be possible, but remotely, I don't think so.

The unidentified part may be a capacitor, as mentioned by a couple of other people. In that case it will read open circuit on a multimeter. If you have a multimeter which has a capacitance range you could try that.

What does the connector normally connected to? Is it an output or input? What signal would you expect on it?

Keith.

keith1200rs said:
The problem is, without knowing what the instrument is supposed to do it is impossible to diagnose the fault remotely. With an oscilloscope and some idea of what it is supposed to do it might be possible, but remotely, I don't think so.

The unidentified part may be a capacitor, as mentioned by a couple of other people. In that case it will read open circuit on a multimeter. If you have a multimeter which has a capacitance range you could try that.

What does the connector normally connected to? Is it an output or input? What signal would you expect on it?

Keith.

I want to thank everyone for trying to help me. Just in case you can't tell, I'm at my wits end on this.
I'm pretty sure that this yellow component is at the input of the device, because a microphone connects to the right of it in the connector that previous post said was a Lemo connector. A microphone designed to pick up the ticking of a watch and transform that information to a analog vertical panel meter. Here is the front of the machine. As you can see the machine lights up but the meter is dead. Hope this clears this up a little.

Banjojoe

Do you think the said part is defective? Most likely it isn't. Because the connector input is open, you can easily check it with
a capacitance meter. I'm also rather sure, that it's a tubular ceramic capacitor.

FvM said:
Do you think the said part is defective? Most likely it isn't. Because the connector input is open, you can easily check it with
a capacitance meter. I'm also rather sure, that it's a tubular ceramic capacitor.

I don't know why everyone thinks I'm talking about the connector. This was never about the connector. Some people thought I was talking about the connector, but all I was trying to do was to point out the part in question by saying it was near that Lemo connector. (Whew)

But now that you do bring up that particular connector, I can tell you that I can use an ohm meter on the outside of the connector and touch the resistor on one leg and I get continuity but when I touch the other leg I get nothing. I have removed the resistor off of the board and with an ohm meter still get nothing. So, I'm thinking that the part is bad and would like to replace it if I can just find out what it is and what is the value. I hope now everyone realizes that I'm talking about the yellow resistor type component in the circle.

Thanks,
Banjojoe

As posted by FvM and others it is probably a tubular ceramic capacitor. Also, I think that FvM was pointing out that since the connector is open (there is no current path to one side of the "capacitor") you can measure it without removing it from the circuit.

pauloynski said:
As posted by FvM and others it is probably a tubular ceramic capacitor. Also, I think that FvM was pointing out that since the connector is open (there is no current path to one side of the "capacitor") you can measure it without removing it from the circuit.

Agreed. And as mentioned before by other people, maybe 4.7nF is a likely value. You need a capacitance meter (or just swap if for a new 4.7nF capacitor and see what happens).

Keith.

keith1200rs said:
pauloynski said:

Agreed. And as mentioned before by other people, maybe 4.7nF is a likely value. You need a capacitance meter (or just swap if for a new 4.7nF capacitor and see what happens).

Keith.

Tomorrow I will do just that: replace it with 4.7nF tubular ceramic capacitor and see what happens. If it works I'll post it here.

Thanks Again,
Banjojoe

Banjojoe said:
..I don't know why everyone thinks I'm talking about the connector. This was never about the connector. Some people thought I was talking about the connector, but all I was trying to do was to point out the part in question by saying it was near that Lemo connector. (Whew)...Banjojoe

Sorry my friend, but its very incorrect handling!!
You have edited the first picture_the early one has had a color circle at the Lemo like Fischer connector, so you did marked it for subject of your question...
Its all, and you must not wonder if i say_so to do is really incorrect!
K.

smeezekitty said:
There was a circle on the connector!

I always thought it was the yellow resistor looking thing. Partly because he said

"The part in question is the yellow resistor Inside of the circle..." :wink:

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back