Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating signal travelling time in FR4

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am working with a PCB layout having 500 MHz signal and I need to calculate, not very precisely, the time required to travel 400 mil (1.016 cm) in typical FR4.

I guess the signal speed in typical FR4 is something like 15 cm / ns (0.015 cm / ps). Is this speed is frequency dependent ? If yes, then how much is the speed of 500 MHz signal in typical FR4 ?

Assuming typical speed in FR4 is 15 cm / ns (0.015 cm / ps), I am trying to calculate the time to travel 400 mil (1.016 cm). I am not sure if the following calculation is correct.

Speed = Distance x Time

Time = Speed / Distance

Time = 0.015 / 1.016 = 0.0148 ps

The two last lines are completely wrong, time = distance/speed

Propagation speed is light speed/sqrt(Er,eff). Your assumed 0.15 m/ns (0.5 light speed) is roughly correct for embedded microstrip on FR4, microstrip has typically higher speed (Er,eff < 4), stripline lower speed (Er,eff > 4). You can use Saturn Toolkit, tab Conductor Impedance to calculate propagation speed for your actual transmission line geometry.
--- Updated ---

1647599575812.png

I need to calculate time in picosecond.

Speed = 15 cm / ns
Distance = 400 mil
Time = ?

My finding is 0.0148 ps, Can someone please check this ?

My finding is 0.0148 ps, Can someone please check this ?
I already checked it and told you, that it's completely wrong.

Time = distance/speed. Assuming 15 cm/ns (possibly not exactly correct for your PCB, but at at least in the ball park)

you get t = 1.016/15 = 0.0677 ns = 67.7 ps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back