Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculate output impedance of transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggyD

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I bought a 433MHz xmtr/rcvr and I'm trying to match an antenna to it. I know I could use a 1/4wave wire, but I have a Nano VNA and I'd like to try and tune the antenna. The manufacturer does not specify the output impedance, but if I sum the two inductors in the VCC path, as shown in the attached image, I calculate the output impedance to be about 20k ohms. That's assuming the total inductance is about 700nH. Does that sound right?
Thank you.

Attachments

• 433MHZ SCH.jpg
    433MHZ SCH.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 75

This is an oscillator and it's not necessary to calculate the output impedance for an antenna.
Because it's not a critical application and the output impedance can be considered as high.
There are 2 inductors and IF I assume each one has 350nH and as a rule of thumb The Impedance of a Choke Inductor has 10 times of Output Impedance//Load Impedance..
The Output Impedance might be approximately 100 Ohm. But this is just a rough approximation. A precise measurement must be done with a sliding tuner.

OK. So I can't get there from here. But can I at least assume the inductance from VCC to the output is about 64nH + 26.4nH = 90.4nH, (see below . I miscalculated previously)? At 433MHz that would be about 246ohm. Shouldn't that be close to the output impedance?
The schematic I attached doesn't indicate the correct values. I measured the dimensions.
L2 = 0.0640 uH (diam 4mm, length 3.2mm, turns 4.5) approx.
L1 = 0.0264 uH (diam 4mm, length 5.4mm, turns 2.5) approx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back