Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CadStar; stencil paste + component pads view?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pivko99

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
solder paste in cadstar

Hallo, everybody
I would like to see stencil paste apertures and component pads both. I have this settings: pads RED colour and stencil paste YELLOW. Pads are bigger than solder paste appertures and I can see only red colour (pad) and no yellow colour.
Can anybody help me with this problem? I hope you understood what I mean.
I would like to see yellow rectangles (stencil paste apertures) above red pads.
Thank for answers

stencil paste

hi ,
i dont there is any such option in Cadstar where you can view paste over pad but you can generate the gerberes for both and then view in any CAM tool.

hope it will help you.

Ricky

solder paste layer

Yes I use CAM toll for this but I would like to prefer to see it direct into CadStar...

cadstar zuken layer paste

well
I dont think that is possible in Cadstar.I am using Cadstar9.0 and havent found any such option until now.
wish you good luck and if you find one kindly let me also know the same.

ricky

cadstar contract

Yes this is easily possible, but it needs a little work.

Go to your pad assignments.
For each pad assignment, you create an alternative assignment on a "solder paste" layer (previously created) of the dimension that you want.

I suggest you create them 1:1 and let your stencil manufacturer do any reductions as it can change depending upon the thickness of your screen.

Do this on smt pads at 1:1 and on pth pads do it at "0" so it only shows a thin ring (this does not get plotted in the gerber).

Then when you wish to create a stencil Gerber, you use your colours and have on only the board outline and all pads, and only the solder paste layer.
When you have that, create yourself a colour file in the colours screen by choosing save, call it "solder paste" so next time you want to make one you can recall it.

Oh hang on, I have just re read what you ask & you may have this done, but cannot see the difference.

In your layers setup, the solder paste layer needs to be above the top copper, then in options, display, select "draw shapes in layer order".

This should display them as you want to see them.

stencil gerber layers

Hi Cybberrat and others,
I have got set paste layer above top copper. Both are physical layer 1, I think it is OK. It is selected "Draw shapes in layer order" in display options. And I always haven't got succes with it. When I set Colour / True pad size - NO I can see what I wisch but rectangles for solder paste and top copper are not filled :( When I set Colour / True pad size - YES I can see only top copper because of solder paste is under it (I don't know why??? solder paste should by above top copper)...
I use Zuken CadStar 8.0. Please help me if you know.
Thanks[/img]

Hi Cyberrat,

Pivko is right it is not showing like it shows in other tool sy Allegro in which pads are filled also and paste is viewed over top elec.

can you pleas send the bit map attachments as provided by pivko
to illustrate that better.

Thanks & regards,

Ricky

I see what you mean now, and I have tried it on V8 - V10 and no matter what I do I cannot see them.
Even if the top copper is turned off and only the paste & resist layers are visible.

weird.

Before going much farther though, why would you want to do this?
Why do you need to see the solder paste at the same time?

It is normal to need to see the resist area at the same time as the pads so that you can know where not to track etc but I cannot figure out why you need to see the paste pad sizes at that time too?

(And this is exactly what Zuken will ask if someone on maintenance asks the question).

Hi,
I need to see solder paste and commponent (copper) pad for better check view.I know I can it checking by CAM toll, I do it this way now, but I would like to prefer check it by CadStar before I generate gerber files...

I should send this discussion to Zuken I think...

If you are on maintenance then yes ask Zuken.

But why do you "need" to see the paste layer when viewing the board?

What check could you possibly do?

The solder paste pad sizes are either 1:1 or smaller than the actual pads, so there is nothing else that will come near it without affecting the copper pads.

Either way, yes you cannot see the paste layer when solder resist or top copper is on.
in fact paste layer is not visible when any other pad feature is on.

Not even if copper layer is on layer 2 & paste on layer 1.

I would like to see something like this:

Hi,
purporses are simple:
1.) my boss want it
2.) solder paste stencil is rather expansive. Before we (PCB department) will order this we need to visually check it. We need to check all pads...

I can't it write better, sorry for my English and thanks fo interest.

1) Your boss is an idiot. (std law of business & engineering - bosses havn't a clue, they only have pointy hair :D ) REF: Dilbert.com

2) If you want to check the pads before sending the data off for the screen then simply look at the Gerbers with GC-Prevue (free) to check that all pads are correct.
(You ought to be doing this anyway.

When you create the stencil Gerber you use a colour file to show only the paste layer & only pads. If you see any round PTH holes you will know to go & adjust the aperture
to have zero size on that layer.

Then create the Gerber, open up GC-Prevue, import ALL Gerber layers so that you can see the entire board, including the paste layer & check it from there.
If there is an incorrect pad then it only takes a minute to correct, re Gerber & reimport.

Only if you have a maintenance contract with Zuken will you be able to discuss this with them & find out if what you want is in any way possible, given the number of other things that are higher up the "need to be fixed tree" I doubt you'd get anywhere though, unless you can persuade them its a nice new feature that everyone needs :D

There is a solution if you made edtition on the pad datbase and export the the stencile to gerber and check it ou hope this will much more easier then any other process

regards
Antarveena

Added after 35 seconds:

There is a solution if you made edtition on the pad datbase and export the the stencile to gerber and check it ou hope this will much more easier then any other process

regards
Antarveena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back