Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

buzzer/Pressure sensor comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuAtAu

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,I am doing a hobby project which is using the buzzer as my vibrate sensor.

As attached picture is my connection. I want it give me high (5V) while i blow wind on the buzzer.
But something seems like going wrong. The comparator circuit is not working.

If i replace the buzzer into a voltage divider, it is working!!

I know that buzzer only give voltage but not current. So any solution about that??
(such as edit the circuit or something)

problem.png

Thanks in advance :)

You should connect your LM324 as a comparator, with a high gain and adjustable input level.
As it is shown in your schematic, I cannot see what is the "ground" for inputs and outputs. You can rather try a LM311, a comparator allowing to set the sensor (buzzer) between the + input and ground (battery negative) while the (-) input will be connected to a potentiometer across the battery, and via a 100 k resistor to output.

You should connect your LM324 as a comparator, with a high gain and adjustable input level.
As it is shown in your schematic, I cannot see what is the "ground" for inputs and outputs. You the sensor (buzzer) between the + input and ground (battery negative) while the (-) input will be connected to a potentiometer across the battery, and via a 100 k resistor to output.
I already connect in open loop, which mean very high gain and functioned as comparator. Noted that the "ground" of input is same with the output. by the way I no need a negative voltage since I only need high and low TTL logic voltage. I tried a lot of op amp that I have, not 311, the same things happened which is the output always have same voltage(20mv to 2v) with the noninverting input, instead of a high or low, 5 to 0V.

I already connect in open loop, which mean very high gain and functioned as comparator. Noted that the "ground" of input is same with the output. by the way I no need a negative voltage since I only need high and low TTL logic voltage. I tried a lot of op amp that I have, not 311, the same things happened which is the output always have same voltage(20mv to 2v) with the noninverting input, instead of a high or low, 5 to 0V.

You know, I used LM324 many times as an opamp but not as a comparator. LM324 is not the "rail-to-rail" type, so small voltage generated by your buzzer, close to the ground rail, would not drive the opamp in a reliable way.

I would rather make a two-resistor (3k &3k) voltage divider for the Vcc/2 "artificial ground" to make the input reference. Also, a good comparator should have the gain defined by a feedback resistor.
Your circuit has three poorly defined problems: 1. LM324 is not good for close-to-rail voltages, 2. its gain should not be left not defined -use e.g. a 100k...1 M feedback resistor, and 3. make the Vcc/2 reference for the inputs. 4 . I would advise to use a potentiometer across +5V/GND to adjust the comparator threshold.

Thanks for pointing out the weekness. After I post this, I tried on lm339 as well. I also put a voltage divider as threshold and controled to 5mV. I put 2 set 200k/200 Ohm as 1000gain deferential amplfier too. The result is the same! Vout = V+ , when V+ > V- .
Thats make me keep scratching my head and not make sense.

And I expect, Vout=Vsource+, WHEN V+>V- .

Noted that I have experience on circuit and surely connected correctly and tried a lot of times.

if I replace the buzzer to another voltage divider, then it works exactly fine! I suspect the problem occur at buzzer...

Last edited:

I am not sure if I understand that with LM339 your problem persists. I used both LM311 and 339 (339 should be four LM311s in one chip), usually with thermistors as temperature controllers, and with added buffer opamps to get a logic out for ~10 mV above GND from a RF detector. Always reliable, no problems. Try the pot to adjust the threshold.

Thermister is resistive which sourced by a Vcc and divided by another resistor to get the voltage. Typically will get few micro ampere current for input. But with a single buzzer, it only give potential different when receive pressure such as I blow wind on it. I used with phototransistor before and it is working fine. Just it functioning weird with the buzzer.

I tried to adjust the pot to 2mv and it give me always high, noted the buzzer gives 5mv in ambient.

Status
Not open for further replies.