Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

buck converter freewheeling diode current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magdy_said

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am a new to power electronics field and trying to design a simple buck converter, i started with simulation before real acting but i noticed something wired in diode current, it reaches 28 amps in first 200us is that usaul? is this just a transint wave that won't affect the circuit? will 4 amp diode can handle this 28 amp transients?!
y4.PNG
y5.PNG

Hi,

Without a look into the datasheet .. I assume this is the so called "reverse recovery current" or current caused by stray capacitance.

The magnitude depends on the diode but also on the rise/fall rate of the signal. I assume in reality the current is much lower.

Klaus

Hi,
Klaus has said it that the current in the real converter would be less than the value you obtained in simulation. Moreover the average of the current shown in simulation is far less than 4A and the non−repetitive peak surge current for the diode should be far higher than 28A.

Your diode will be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.