Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buck Boost Transformer Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi1488

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have very question about buck boost transformer or any transformer. I am not an electrical guy, that is the reason this question arises. Here is a question.

We use buck-boost transformer to add or subtract voltage to mains or any other AC voltage source. So, the mains is connected to secondry and we apply adding voltage to primary. Is that right?

Second question , As voltage is applied to both windings, why not secondry voltage induces voltage on primary side ? As in normal transformer voltage is applied only on primary side and secondry side voltage is only induced voltage. Here voltage is applied to both side.

I think maybe you are talking about an auto-transformer? It has one winding which is shared by both incoming and outgoing sides.

Output might be taken from a tap at some middle point, where you get stepped down AC...

Or output might be taken from an extended winding, where you get stepped up AC.

a transformer can use a Tap-changer on the high voltage side to change AC voltages up or down, but a Buck-boost converter uses an inductor or transformer (depending on design) to switch stored energy to lower or higher DC voltages after rectification.

I am talking about buck-boost transformer not buck-boost converter. It is a kind of Autotransformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.